Can I put all my Ruby constants in environment.rb?

Hello, I got a lot of Ruby constants spread over a couple of models. Is it possible to throw them all into environment.rb instead? I'd really enjoy having things in one place. Thanks.

Save The Vinyls wrote:

Hello, I got a lot of Ruby constants spread over a couple of models. Is it possible to throw them all into environment.rb instead? I'd really enjoy having things in one place. Thanks.

I would guess you have more than constants "spread over a couple of models"! If your design is indeed not clear and DRY, you ought to work to put each operation into the model where it belongs.

The same with constants; each must have a model that needs it most. Put it inside that model, and access it with Model:: notation.

Save The Vinyls wrote:

Think it depends on what those constants are...

if they are environment specific stuff like

SITE_LOCKOUT_TIME = 15.minutes

which you may want to change to 30.seconds in development, then I'd probably put the default in environment.rb and do a

SITE_LOCKOUT_TIME = 15.minutes unless defined?(SITE_LOCKOUT_TIME)

then, you can override it for the development environment in in environments/development.rb

however, if it's something that isn't global, and isnt environment specific, then you should keep it in the relevant model.

eg.

class User   LOCKOUT_TIME = 15.minutes

def is_locked_out?     self.locked_at && self.locked_at > self.class::LOCKOUT_TIME.ago   end end

say for people.rb:

MAX_EMAIL = MAX_PASSWORD = SMALL_STRING_LENGTH

MAX_NAME = SMALL_STRING_LENGTH

MAX_NICKNAME = 15

EMAIL_REGEX = /\A[A-Z0-9\._%-]+@([A-Z0-9-]+\.)+[A-Z]{2,4}\z/i

DESCRIPTION_LENGTH = 2000

TRASH_TIME_AGO = 1.month.ago

SEARCH_LIMIT = 20

SEARCH_PER_PAGE = 8

MESSAGES_PER_PAGE = 5

NUM_RECENT_MESSAGES = 4

NUM_WALL_COMMENTS = 10

NUM_RECENT = 8

FEED_SIZE = 10

TIME_AGO_FOR_MOSTLY_ACTIVE = 1.month.ago

say for people.rb:

MAX_EMAIL = MAX_PASSWORD = SMALL_STRING_LENGTH

MAX_NAME = SMALL_STRING_LENGTH

MAX_NICKNAME = 15

EMAIL_REGEX = /\A[A-Z0-9\._%-]+@([A-Z0-9-]+\.)+[A-Z]{2,4}\z/i

DESCRIPTION_LENGTH = 2000

TRASH_TIME_AGO = 1.month.ago

SEARCH_LIMIT = 20

SEARCH_PER_PAGE = 8

MESSAGES_PER_PAGE = 5

NUM_RECENT_MESSAGES = 4

NUM_WALL_COMMENTS = 10

NUM_RECENT = 8

FEED_SIZE = 10

TIME_AGO_FOR_MOSTLY_ACTIVE = 1.month.ago

Save The Vinyls wrote:

say for people.rb:

MAX_EMAIL = MAX_PASSWORD = SMALL_STRING_LENGTH   EMAIL_REGEX = /\A[A-Z0-9\._%-]+@([A-Z0-9-]+\.)+[A-Z]{2,4}\z/i   DESCRIPTION_LENGTH = 2000   TRASH_TIME_AGO = 1.month.ago   SEARCH_LIMIT = 20   SEARCH_PER_PAGE = 8   MESSAGES_PER_PAGE = 5   NUM_RECENT_MESSAGES = 4   NUM_WALL_COMMENTS = 10   NUM_RECENT = 8   FEED_SIZE = 10   TIME_AGO_FOR_MOSTLY_ACTIVE = 1.month.ago

On Jul 6, 11:20�pm, Matthew Rudy Jacobs <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

depends if you need to reuse this stuff or not. think it's probably unecessary to freeze some of these as constants.

would probably rewrite it

class People   validates_length_of :email, :password, :name, :maximum => SMALL_STRING_LENGTH   validates_length_of :nickname, :maximum => 15   validates_format_of :email, /\A[A-Z0-9\._%-]+@([A-Z0-9-]+\.)+[A-Z]{2,4}\z/i   validates_length_of :description, :maximum => 2000

# note: TRASH_TIME_AGO = 1.month.ago will break   # as the constant is set at class load time   def self.to_trash(time=1.month)     self.find(:all, ["created_at < ?", time.ago])   end

named_scope :mostly_active, lambda{:conditions => ["updated_at > ?", 1.month.ago]} end

the stuff about number of messages to display and such are probably view variables, and you may want override with params...

hope that helps.

http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/12394-matthew-rudy-jacobs

thanks a lot for the response guys. i no longer feel this is necessary, i'll keep the constants where they are.