Can anyone recommend a safe way/strategy to input some search conditions via URL parameters?

Hi,

Question - Can anyone recommend a safe way/strategy to input some search conditions via URL parameters? So the requirements are:

[1] Only use URL parameters (e.g. key & value pair, where value is a string) [2] At the server side convert these to a query string (i.e. the WHERE clause in a SQL select statement) [3] Need to "scrub" the inputs to avoid SQL injection [4] Want to support more than basic column_name = value, so I need also (here column_name would be the key):     (a) column_name = true/false [for boolean]     (b) NOT support - i.e. column_name != value     (c) IS NOT NULL support, i.e. column_name IS NOT NULL     (d) Range, i.e. column_name IS BETWEEN value1 AND value2     (e) Some permutations of these, e.g. column name != true (so NOT and a boolean)

Any suggestions? Anything I'm missing that solves this in Rails or ActiveScaffold?

Background: The background is I'm using the ActiveScaffold ( http://activescaffold.com/) out of the box views. It has a server side "conditions_from_params" that is supported & it passes the URL parameters around well (e.g. then sorting buttons at columns continues to work even through you've filtered down the list of rows). Here's an extract of how I started to add some support to this for "range" and "boolean", however I agree it's messy. I'm just looking for a better way to do the below, plus then add on the other above-mentioned support I have. Obviously I could just pass the exact parameters I want for the WHERE clause in a query however then I assume there would be SQL injection potential issues...

# Builds search conditions by search params for column names. This allows urls like "contacts/list?company_id=5".     def conditions_from_params       conditions = nil       params.reject {|key, value| [:controller, :action, :id].include?(key.to_sym)}.each do |key, value|         next unless active_scaffold_config.model.column_names.include?(key) # reject keys that don't match table column in database

if value.match(".*[.][.].*")           # Range was specified           elements = value.split('..')           conditions = merge_conditions(conditions, ["#{active_scaffold_config.model.table_name}.#{key.to_s} BETWEEN '#{elements[0]}' AND '#{elements[1]}' "])         else           # No range           if ( value.upcase == "TRUE" || value.upcase == "FALSE")             # Boolean             conditions = merge_conditions(conditions, ["#{active_scaffold_config.model.table_name}.#{key.to_s} = ?", value.upcase == "TRUE" ? true : false])           else             # Non Boolean             conditions = merge_conditions(conditions, ["#{active_scaffold_config.model.table_name}.#{key.to_s} = ?", value])           end         end

end       conditions     end

Thanks