Can access mysql server via command line utility but not via rails

I've been successfully read and writing to a MySQL database on one server from my RAILS application on another server for almost a year. For various reasons that I aren't important I tried to switch to another database server. I can access, read and write to that database server from my application server via the mysql command, but when I attempt to load the console it takes a really, really long time to load the console. Then when I try to read the first record of an arbitrary model the console hangs again for a really, really long time and comes back with this message:

Mysql::Error: Can't connect to MySQL server on '72.32.121.29' (110)         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:548:in `real_connect'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:548:in `connect'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:198:in `initialize'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:74:in `new'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:74:in `mysql_connection'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:223:in `send'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:223:in `new_connection'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:245:in `checkout_new_connection'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:188:in `checkout'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:184:in `loop'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:184:in `checkout'         from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor.rb:238:in `synchronize'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:183:in `checkout'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:98:in `connection'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:326:in `retrieve_connection'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb: 121:in `retrieve_connection'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb: 113:in `connection'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/base.rb:2934:in `quoted_table_name'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/base.rb:1626:in `construct_finder_sql'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/base.rb:1490:in `find_every'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/base.rb:1452:in `find_initial'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/base.rb:587:in `find'         from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/ active_record/base.rb:597:in `first'         from (irb):1

I'm really confused why the servers can talk via the mysql command and not via the rails app. Any help would be appreciated.

Never mind! It was a hosts file issue. All better now.