calling method on base intended to simulate initialize on instances?

class A   def initialize     setup_b     setup_c   end

def b_and_c    "#{@b} and #{@c}"   end

private def setup_b     @b = 'b'   end

def setup_c     @c = 'c'   end

def setup_d     @d = 'd'   end end

a = A.new a.instance_variable_get("@b") # => "b" a.instance_variable_get("@c") # => "c" a.instance_variable_get("@d") # => nil a = A.new.b_and_c # => "b and c"

Now what I did above is to make a point. initialize allows us to create some initial setup for new objects, so that when we call a public method like b_and_c, we can expect certain values back based on the initialization hook that must occur first. From my understanding, modules do not have an initialize method, so then how do you simulate it? Well, I was looking at Rails and notice this:

class Template     module Handlers       autoload :ERB, 'action_view/template/handlers/erb'       autoload :Builder, 'action_view/template/handlers/builder'       autoload :Raw, 'action_view/template/handlers/raw'

def self.extended(base)         base.register_default_template_handler :erb, ERB.new         base.register_template_handler :builder, Builder.new         base.register_template_handler :raw, Raw.new       end

@@template_handlers = {}       @@default_template_handlers = nil

def self.extensions         @@template_extensions ||= @@template_handlers.keys       end

def register_default_template_handler(extension, klass)         register_template_handler(extension, klass)         @@default_template_handlers = klass       end

def register_template_handler(extension, handler)         @@template_handlers[extension.to_sym] = handler         @@template_extensions = nil       end

class Template     extend Template::Handlers

class LookupContext    register_detail(:handlers){ Template::Handlers.extensions }

Basically, when ruby loads the Template class (I will assume that it must be loaded prior to Handlers module or LookupContext class), it immediately executes a class method, which is called extend, and passes the module Handlers as the lone argument. What the extend method does is copy the methods of the module Handlers to the Template class as class methods. But what else happens is the self.extended hook is immediately triggered, just as initialize is when you instantiate a class. We pass our Template class object as the parameter base. And we call the register_default_template_handler method (which is now a class method of Template), passing it a symbol :erb and an instance of ERB, which returns a string from call(). We in turn call register_template_handler, passing in the same two arguments. We simply append the key/value pair to the @@template_handlers class variable, which is a hash data type, and allows us to add a number of key/value pairs corresponding to extensions and template types. (e.g. :erb extension corresponding to an ERB template type). Hence, when we invoke the module method extensions on the module, it can return a value for the @@template_handlers class variable, since it was initialized with values during the hook, prior to the extensions method call.

I have a few questions about this.

1) Is is true to say that the class variables of the module get initialized prior than the extended hook. Reason why say this is that the extended hook calls a method that expects the variable to be set already.

2) Do all the methods of the module get copied over to base (Template class object) prior to the hook being called? Reason why I say this is because we call base.register_default_template_handler, where base is Tempalte object an register_default_template_handler is defined in the module that gets copied to base as a class method via extend. Hence, in order for base.register_default_template_handler to work, the methods must have been copied first.

3) Can anyone tell me what @@template_extensions is for? I dont see that initialized with a value anywhere other than nil.

thanks for response

1)

class Dog   module Cat     puts 'hello'   end end

--output:-- hello

2)

Do all the methods of the module get copied over to base

Never.

3) I don't know.