call a controller method from model

Hi people

I have a problem. I want to know if it is possible to call a method (in the controller of a class) from an action, a callback or something in a related model.

e.g.

Model A "has many" Model B

But every time Model A is updated I need to execute a (custom) controller method in Model B

Hope you can help me

This is a bad idea. Models shouldn’t know about controllers at all.

What does the controller action do? Perhaps you can just do that in a method on a model.

Well, the example I used is a little simple for what I really need.

I have 4 models

Model A, Model B, Model C, and Model D

Everytime I update Model C, I have to update Model B Everytime I update Model D, I have to update Model B

Everytime I update Model B, I have to update Model A, but this update depends on "which" model has updated Model B. if Model C has updated Model B I have to make some changes in Model A. But if Model D has updated Model B I have to make differnts changes in Model A.

My problem is that I don't know how can I recognize which model has updated Model B to "switch" between actions to update Model A

Maybe you could use some sort of “updated by model” field on your Model B.

In your controller (for example):

model_c = ModelC.find

model_c.save

model_b = ModelB.find

model_b.updated_by_model = ModelC

Then in your model, you could do something like this:

after_save :update_model_a

def update_model_a

model_a = ModelA.find

model_a.foo = “bar” if updated_by_model = ModelC

model_a.foo = “rab” if updated_by_model = ModelD end

These are just very broad ideas since I don’t know the specifics. Hopefully they will spark some ideas for you, but it should be possible to do this in a more “railsy” way than calling a controller action from a model

I have 4 models

Everytime I update Model C, I have to update Model B

Everytime I update Model D, I have to update Model B

Everytime I update Model B, I have to update Model A, but this update

depends on “which” model has updated Model B. if Model C has updated

Model B I have to make some changes in Model A. But if Model D has

updated Model B I have to make differnts changes in Model A.

I think the simplest way to do this is to have an after_save callback on ModelC and ModelD.

Just call the method that will update ModelB and ModelA on the callbacks.

Angelo Cordova wrote in post #1018303:

I have 4 models

Everytime I update Model C, I have to update Model B Everytime I update Model D, I have to update Model B

Everytime I update Model B, I have to update Model A, but this update depends on "which" model has updated Model B. if Model C has updated Model B I have to make some changes in Model A. But if Model D has updated Model B I have to make differnts changes in Model A.

My problem is that I don't know how can I recognize which model has updated Model B to "switch" between actions to update Model A

Sounds like what you need is Key Value Observing (KVO). Too bad I know of nothing like that anywhere in Rails. Plus it probably doesn't make sense in a web application anyway.

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/KeyValueObserving/KeyValueObserving.html

Sorry, that wasn't exactly helpful, but maybe an interesting... observation (pun intended). :slight_smile:

Maybe you could use an Observer…

One Adam 12, code 7, Law of Demeter violation in progress :slight_smile:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Demeter&gt;

You might want to rethink these models. Just sayin' ...

Thank all of you for your help... Finally I solve my problem by doing something really simple... I just made a subtraction and everything work just fine

Thanks again