Calculating the Date of the Start of Week

I'm creating a calendar of sorts which maps events.

For each event, I know its start and end date/time. I also know the current date and time. What I need to be able to do is calculate the start of the week, regardless of the day of the week.

So, if it is Wednesday and I want to populate my Calendar from Monday - Sunday with the events, I need to know the date of Monday to start. To compare absolute days I've converted them to Ruby epoch with the idea of comparing each day (84600 seconds) versus the end date. If the day is greater than the end date, I then check the hours of the day to see on what hour the event occurred.

It sounds convoluted, but I'm not sure of a better method.

Code:

This is wrong in that I'm using Date.today.to_time.to_i, rather than the date of the Monday of the week.

<% for j in 0..6 do %>                 <%# check date first if we are past day, then check hour%>                 <% for i in 0..23 do %>                         <th><%=h i %>:00</th>

<% if (j * 86400) + Date.today.to_time.to_i > (@lab.end_date.to_time.to_i + ((@lab.end_time.strftime("%M").to_i) * 3600)                                 + ((@lab.end_time.strftime("%S").to_i) * 60)) %>                                 <tr>                                 <% if i > @lab.end_time.strftime("%M").to_i # because db stores the hour in minute field (as pulled by ruby) use %M %>                                         <th> Available </th>                                 <% else %>                                         <th> Checked Out </th>                                 <% end %>                         <% end %>                 <% else %>                                 <th> Checked Out </th>                 <% end %>         <% end %>

Tyler Knappe wrote:

For each event, I know its start and end date/time. I also know the current date and time. What I need to be able to do is calculate the start of the week, regardless of the day of the week.

So, if it is Wednesday and I want to populate my Calendar from Monday - Sunday with the events, I need to know the date of Monday to start. To compare absolute days I've converted them to Ruby epoch with the idea of comparing each day (84600 seconds) versus the end date. If the day is greater than the end date, I then check the hours of the day to see on what hour the event occurred.

The code posted is wrong (pulled from a backup file), but I think I see a way to address the problem. If I know the current day of the week, I can find Monday and subtract off for each day of the week past Monday. I just needed to walk away from the problem for a bit to figure it out. :slight_smile:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if you wanted to find the prev Mon and next Sun for some given date/time for use in querying/ comparing, you could do something like:

$ irb

t_now = Time.now

=> Wed May 20 17:50:56 -0700 2009

t_prev_mon_begin = t_now - (t_now.wday-1)*24*60*60 - t_now.hour*60*60 - t_now.min*60 - t_now.sec

=> Mon May 18 00:00:00 -0700 2009

t_next_sun_end = t_prev_mon_begin + 7*24*60*60 - 1

=> Sun May 24 23:59:59 -0700 2009

Jeff

So, if it is Wednesday and I want to populate my Calendar from
Monday - Sunday with the events, I need to know the date of Monday to start.
To compare absolute days I've converted them to Ruby epoch with the
idea of comparing each day (84600 seconds) versus the end date. If the day is greater than the end date, I then check the hours of the day to see on what hour the event occurred.

Why won't this work?

>> t = Time.now => Wed May 20 18:23:37 -0700 2009 >> t.beginning_of_week => Mon May 18 00:00:00 -0700 2009

There are all kinds of fun methods in the Time class...

>> t.beginning_of_day => Wed May 20 00:00:00 -0700 2009 >> t.end_of_day => Wed May 20 23:59:59 -0700 2009 >> t.tomorrow => Thu May 21 18:23:37 -0700 2009 >> t.yesterday => Tue May 19 18:23:37 -0700 2009 >> t.beginning_of_month => Fri May 01 00:00:00 -0700 2009 >> t.last_month => Mon Apr 20 18:23:37 -0700 2009

The one thing to double check is that at least at one point the
"month" methods were 30-day based...

-philip

You can look at the next_week method

http://www.railsbrain.com/api/rails-2.3.2/doc/index.html?a=M001363&name=next_week

and then back off a week. You could also take the code and create your
own method like the beginning_of_week if it doesn't already do exactly
what you want.

-Rob

Well since this is the Rails forum and not the Ruby forum, Time#beginning_of_week is already defined in ActiveSupport.

I guess I didn't make my point very well. (Even I can't see it from what I actually *wrote*.)

The Time#next_week in ActiveSupport lets you specify the day that starts the week while Time#beginning_of_week always goes back to Monday. My reference to Time#beginning_of_week was perhaps a bit too implicit and I suppose I was relying on the clairvoyance of the OP for the point about choosing when the "week" begins.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com