Bypassing automatic STI generation

Hi,

Let's say I have the following:

Product < AR Memberships < Product

I know that the product with id 10 has its type column set to "Membership", but still I'd like to treat it as a regular product.

So if I do: Product.find(10), Rails returns a Membership object.

Is it possible to tell rails to not care about STI and to simply return a Product object?

Regards,

But it *is* a Membership object... ?:-/

But if you *have* to have it as a Product for some reason, you can use the ActiveRecord::Base "becomes" method: http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html#M002334

But if you *have* to have it as a Product for some reason, you can use the ActiveRecord::Base "becomes" method: ActiveRecord::Base

It's a Membership indeed, but in the admin section of my app, I don't need to recode a specific controller for memberships, they can use the products_controller which is fine and defining :controller => "products" won't do the trick as some actions cannot be shared.

#becomes is exactly what I was looking for, I didn't know about this method and it's not featured in AWDWR 3rd Ed.

Thanks!

It's a Membership indeed, but in the admin section of my app, I don't need to recode a specific controller for memberships, they can use the products_controller which is fine and defining :controller => "products" won't do the trick as some actions cannot be shared.

Makes sense.

#becomes is exactly what I was looking for, I didn't know about this method and it's not featured in AWDWR 3rd Ed.

Kewl. Glad to help. AWDWR is a good book - but it's not all-encompassing... You need to get familiar with navigating the Ruby and Rails API documentation to find the rest of the cool stuff :slight_smile: