building an app with someone else's web design

I'm building a backend for a web-design created by someone else (that I'm working with). I've been provided with a bunch of html files (most, but not necessarily all, to be converted to html.erb files), a bunch of .js files, a bunch of .css files and some other related files.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on javascript or CSS, and I'm hoping I won't have to become very knowledgeable to complete this project. If the javascript and CSS files need to be updated, the web-designer will still be available to update them, but he doesn't know ruby or rails.

My development environment is rails (4.1.6) with the default webrick stuff.

Does anyone have any pointers to good reading material (preferably online) for a situation like this? That is--building an app to serve a website designed by someone else, where many of the files do not get processed by rails. Hopefully including advice on setting up the development environment.

I'm cobbling something together, but I worry that what I'm coming up with may be suboptimal.

I'm building a backend for a web-design created by someone else (that I'm working with). I've been provided with a bunch of html files (most, but not necessarily all, to be converted to html.erb files), a bunch of .js files, a bunch of .css files and some other related files.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on javascript or CSS, and I'm hoping I won't have to become very knowledgeable to complete this project. If the javascript and CSS files need to be updated, the web-designer will still be available to update them, but he doesn't know ruby or rails.

My development environment is rails (4.1.6) with the default webrick stuff.

Does anyone have any pointers to good reading material (preferably online) for a situation like this? That is--building an app to serve a website designed by someone else, where many of the files do not get processed by rails. Hopefully including advice on setting up the development environment.

I'm cobbling something together, but I worry that what I'm coming up with may be suboptimal.

There’s a RailsCast about static sites, maybe two of them if I recall correctly. Have a search there.

Walter

Hmmm... video tutorials--I definitely prefer text documents for the go-at-your-own-speed factor, but I guess I'll check the videos out if I can't find anything else.

Thanks.

You need to understand the directory structure in a Rails project. You need to put all your javascript files under app/assets/javascripts/ folder, the stylesheets will go into app/assets/stylesheets folder. For more details, read : The Asset Pipeline — Ruby on Rails Guides