Building a social Networking site...

Hi everyone.

I’m looking to build a social networking type site in Ruby on Rails.

I’m running on ruby 1.8.7, and have noticed there is a tutorial available called ‘’RailSpace’’.

What I needed to know is, has anyone encountered any problems that stops them from following this tutorial on this version? as i see that railspace was written for an earlier audience, running 1.2.1/

Or– is there a better tutorial out there for what I want to achieve?

Cheers

just hack insoshi.

:smiley:

Haven't read RailsSpace. but I think you should just treat books as guides. Most of the code will work with some tweaking.

Looking at insoshi source, it's pretty much well-done. Uses Rspec and all that.

RubyonRails_newbie wrote:

Hi everyone.

I�m looking to build a social networking type site in Ruby on Rails.

I�m running on ruby 1.8.7, and have noticed there is a tutorial available called ��RailSpace��.

What I needed to know is, has anyone encountered any problems that stops them from following this tutorial on this version? as i see that railspace was written for an earlier audience, running 1.2.1/

Or� is there a better tutorial out there for what I want to achieve?

Cheers

Ooooooffff!. Start building that application in the latest version. When you encounter issues, ask here. This way, you would learn faster than instant solutions.

Alternatively, I have an application @ http://www.classifiedscript.in that should help you a bit.

Cheers

RailSpace may be useful for concepts, but I wouldn't suggest paying any attention at all to the code - there's been far too many changes since 1.2 (which dates to January 2007) for much of what's in there to make any sense at all.

--Matt Jones

I'm a little confused as to why you would need a social-network- specific tutorial. Social networks are basically just accounts, friends and messages, filling out features as you like, no? These all involve basic programming concepts that you should learn anyway, and there's plenty of information on the internet about each element.

-eric