Building a directory tree into the database

Hello,

Does anyone can give me some pointers on building a directory tree. I want to map a directory of folders and files into a database. I am not sure how to do this dynamically. I think acts_as_tree could help me do this. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Elias

Hello, I manage a database to map directories too ... I use the plugin better_nested_set : http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/BetterNestedSet You can mange roots and children easily with this. When you get, for example, a directory containing others directories and files, you can add the first directory as root and subdirectories and files as children of root... with "child.move_to_child_of root" When you want to get children for the root directory with your model : "root.children" or "child.children" etc ... And to get the parent directory : "chid.parent" or "child.ancestors" etc ... You just have to parse the directory tree with Dir.entries or anything else and add the results to the database using your model containing acts_as_nested_set and saving each entries using move_to_child_of method if it's needed.