Book Shelf app in 'Ruby on Rails Bible' book

I'm trying to follow through with the Book Shelf app that's in the 'Ruby on Rails Bible' book and I'm at a point where I'm trying to install Ruby/Amazon. I downloaded the Ruby/Amazon and extracted it as instructed. Now I'm at the step where I need to drop into a Ruby console to verify the Ruby/Amazon installation.

In the console I typed :

>> require 'amazon/aws/search' RuntimeError: Unsupported digest algorithm (sha256).   from /Users/kevin/dev/Ruby/book_shelf/lib/amazon/aws/search.rb:34:in `initialize'   from /Users/kevin/dev/Ruby/book_shelf/lib/amazon/aws/search.rb:34:in `new'   from /Users/kevin/dev/Ruby/book_shelf/lib/amazon/aws/search.rb:34   from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'   from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:156:in `require'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:521:in `new_constants_in'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.2/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:156:in `require'   from (irb):1

I'm too much of Ruby n00b to know what that error means or how to resolve it. Any suggestions? It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm using different versions of Ruby, rails, gems, Ruby/ Amazon since that book was written in '08 (likely '07).

Ruby

I'm trying to follow through with the Book Shelf app that's in the 'Ruby on Rails Bible' book and I'm at a point where I'm trying to install Ruby/Amazon. I downloaded the Ruby/Amazon and extracted it as instructed. Now I'm at the step where I need to drop into a Ruby console to verify the Ruby/Amazon installation.

In the console I typed :

>> require 'amazon/aws/search' RuntimeError: Unsupported digest algorithm (sha256).

It looks like Ruby/Amazon is asking openssl whether it supports the sha256 algorithm and openssl is saying no. Before you go any further with this I found the following on the homepage for Ruby/Amazon:

"Amazon is discontinuing v3 of the AWS API as of 2008-03-31. Ruby/ Amazon will cease to work at that time. Ruby/AWS is the successor to Ruby/Amazon and works with v4 of the AWS API. Please use that library instead of this one."

Fred