Before filter help

First off, I want to apologize if this topic has been previously addressed on the list. I looked, but could have missed it.

I'm trying to run a subscription site, and have created a Subscription resource. I now have a table that holds a user_id, sub_user_id, and expiration (in UTC.) I've constructed a query (that doesn't blow up!) in my application controller that should check if a user's subscription is valid:

def check_subscription(current_user_id, content_owner_id)     @subscription = Subscription.find(:all,                                       :conditions => { :user_id => current_user_id,                                                        :sub_user_id => content_owner_id,                                                        "((expiration

?))" => Time.now.utc })

if @subscription.nil?       redirect_to root_url     end   end

I would like to use this as a before filter in my other controllers, so I can keep the code DRY. However, I'm at a loss when it comes to passing in the current_user_id and content_owner_id into this method through a before_filter. (For instance, every post can be marked as "subscription" required, and if the user has an active subscription, let them see the post.)

I hope all of this makes sense.

Thanks!

-Nicholas

Nicholas Young wrote:

I would like to use this as a before filter in my other controllers, so I can keep the code DRY. However, I'm at a loss when it comes to passing in the current_user_id and content_owner_id into this method through a before_filter. (For instance, every post can be marked as "subscription" required, and if the user has an active subscription, let them see the post.)

I think, in this case, I would add a name_scope to User model that finds the user's active/valid subscriptions:

current_user.valid_subscriptions(content_owner)

Use a before_filter to load the content_owner in your controller(s).

I'll leave it as an exercise for you to figure out how to write the named_scope to do that.

Try removing current_user_id and current_owner_id from the parameters list and moving them into ApplicationController as methods (like you would see with Authlogic/restful-authentication).

class ApplicationController   before_filter :check_subscriptions

def current_user_id     # however you collect this     # or nil if it can't be set   end

def current_owner_id     # however you collect this     # or nil if it can't be set   end

def check_subscriptions     redirect_to root_url unless current_user_id && current_owner_id

# the rest of your method as defined above   end end

Also, you may want to look into using a third-party library for this. I use be9's ACL9 authorization plugin to achieve something very similar in one of my apps.

Best, Jeff Tucker

Somewhat offtopic, but how is the bit with a placeholder working? I just tried it against 2.3 and got an error about 'wrong number of bind variables".

--Matt Jones