before_destroy not called

I have a situation where it seems rails should delete dependent records but does not:

class Order < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :line_items, :dependent => :destroy end

class LineItem < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :order end

o=Order.new     li=LineItem.new     o.line_items<<li     o.save!     Order.delete(o.id)

This deletes the order but not the line item. I did a little debugging and see that rails adds the code (associations.rb):

case reflection.options[:dependent]             when :destroy, true               module_eval "before_destroy '#{reflection.name}.each { | o> o.destroy }'"

but if I add a before_destroy to Order, it is never called. There was another post on this but I didn't really see an explanation for this. More of a workaround.

Rails is great and all, but running into what seems to be very simple cases that don't work and having to step thru very cryptic rails code isn't much fun.

I guess I'll add cascade/delete to the database tables....

delete skips any callbacks, use destroy if you want the callbacks to get invoked.

o=Order.new     li=LineItem.new     o.line_items<<li     o.save!     o.destroy

dailer wrote:

ugh. that was too easy.