Backup database from the application

Hi, I want to create an administration panel in the application that would allow to backup the database and some other stuff. How can I create a backup and send it to some place (s3, ftp) or download it as a file to the local computer.

Daniel

I guess it will depend on your database. This is the code for a backup action in my app. I wrote it some time ago when I had little experience so it may well not be the best way.

def backup     # get database name from one of the models     # there must be a better way of doing this     dbname = Act.configurations[RAILS_ENV]['database']     if dbname       # delete backup files created on previous backup actions       Dir.glob("#{dbname}_*.sql").each { |f| File.delete(f) }       filename = "#{dbname}_" + Time.new.strftime('%Y%m%d_%H%M%S') + '.sql'       @answer = system "mysqldump -u xxxxx -pxxxxx #{dbname} > #{filename}"       if @answer         send_file "#{filename}"         # note cannot delete the file here as the file is sent in -background       else         # dump failed         flash[:error] = "Mysql dump failed"         redirect_to :action => :index       end     end   end

Colin

The project is on heroku and PostgreSQL is used there. I also use PostgreSQL on my local. I thing creating/editing/deleting files on heroku is forbidden

Daniel Morigan wrote:

The project is on heroku and PostgreSQL is used there. I also use PostgreSQL on my local. I thing creating/editing/deleting files on heroku is forbidden

It is. But Heroku already provides Rake tasks to back up the DB.

Best,