backgroundrb

Backgroundrb is driving me crazy. I am trying to schedule a simple job - extremely simple so that I can understand how it thinks. I have gone through the the Tutorial/Notes/Examples at: http://backgroundrb.rubyforge.org/ carefully. Somehow things are not clicking:

Have installed backgrounddb 1.0.4 along with cronic 0.2.3 and packet 0.1.9 gems.

Here is my HelloWorker class in the lib/workers directory of Rails root:

class HelloWorker < BackgrounDRb::MetaWorker   set_worker_name :hello_worker   def create(args = nil)

end

def yml_schedule     puts "yml_schedule - Before"     Post.say_hello     puts "yml_schedule - After"   end end

Here is my backgroundrb.yml in the config directory;

Hi,

Backgroundrb is driving me crazy. I am trying to schedule a simple job - extremely simple so that I can understand how it thinks. I have gone through the the Tutorial/Notes/Examples at: http://backgroundrb.rubyforge.org/ carefully. Somehow things are not clicking:

Thats just too awful, read below to make your mind steady. :wink:

Have installed backgrounddb 1.0.4 along with cronic 0.2.3 and packet 0.1.9 gems.

Here is my HelloWorker class in the lib/workers directory of Rails root:

class HelloWorker < BackgrounDRb::MetaWorker set_worker_name :hello_worker def create(args = nil)

end

def yml_schedule    puts "yml_schedule - Before"    Post.say_hello    puts "yml_schedule - After" end end

Here is my backgroundrb.yml in the config directory;

--- :backgroundrb: :port: 11006 :ip: 0.0.0.0 :schedules: :hello_worker:     :yml_schedule:        :trigger_args: */60 * * * * *

And Here is the Post model from a simple RoR rubyweblog app - this is in app/models directory and is in post.rb file:

class Post < ActiveRecord::Base

class << self    def say_hello      logger.info 'Hello from Post model'    end end

end

As you can see, I am trying to coax backgroundrb to log 'Hello from Post model' every minute and also hoping that "yml schedule - Before" and "yml schedule after" is going to be printed along with it.

There is a small problem there, logger is not initialized in the model and hence you are unable to see the print messages. Try replacing logger.info with puts and you can see your messages appearing on the console (assuming you are not daemonizing backgroundrb, but letting it run on the foreground).

I am getting rather strange output:

1. backgroundrb_debug_11006.log file contains the following:

yml_schedule - Before yml_schedule - After

If you are looking for log messages "backgroundrb_debug_xxx.log" is wrong file to see, your log messages will appear in "backgroundrb_xxx.log" file.

This is only once and does not repeat.

Yup and it should not repeat, as I said before and backgroundrb_debug_xxx.log is for showing unhandled exceptions or server errors and stuff like that. Messages for logger.info() won't end up there.

Hello Hemant, Thanks for the quick response as always, much appreciated. You wrote below:

There is a small problem there, logger is not initialized in the model and hence you are unable to see the print messages. Try replacing logger.info with puts and you can see your messages appearing on the console.

Actually this is not true. The logger object is available in the Rails environment practically everywhere. See Obie Fernandez's excellent text "The Rails Way" page 18. You are partially correct though. If I was using pure Ruby or IRB then I will have to "require" the logger object. My assumption is that Backgroundrb interfaces seamlessly with a Rails application and therefore has access to its environment. If there are any limitations then please point those out since I may be going down the wrong way.

I have been able to get the scheduler going both using the cron style and using add_periodic_timer. I show the code below:

class HelloWorker < BackgrounDRb::MetaWorker   set_worker_name :hello_worker   def create(args = nil)     add_periodic_timer(10) do       Post.say_hello     end   end

# def yml_schedule # logger.info "Hello from yml_schedule" # Post.say_hello # end end

class << self     def say_hello       logger.info 'Hello from Post model'     end   end

end

One thing that I learned the hard way is that the key to make sure that the scheduled workers work correctly in Backgroundrb is that the backgroundrb debug log file is empty! That is, if there are any errors anywhere including other workers that are loaded then the scheduler stops working! I was following the tutorial in the Advanced Rails Recipes book that you wrote with Greg Pollock and the BillingWorker was creating problems. I deleted it and everything started to work right.

I have one request. Since an end-to-end tutorial in Backgroundrb current release is not available, it would be great if you can publish one. I own the Advanced Rails Recipes book and was using your recipe that I mention above, but since the Backgroundrb API has changed, it is creating problems. Do you think that you can publish the updated recipe code for the current version of Backgroundrb at the book's website so that we can use it in its entirety and not get tripped up? I can help you verify it and test it.

I am upgrading a Rails 1.2.6 application to Rails 2.1.0. It uses Backgroundrb and therefore I have to upgrade to the latest release right?

You wrote: (assuming you are not daemonizing backgroundrb, but letting it

run on the foreground).

I don't understand this. Can you please clarify.

You wrote:

Yup and it should not repeat, as I said before and backgroundrb_debug_xxx.log is for showing unhandled exceptions or server errors and stuff like that. Messages for logger.info() won't end up there.

So following up with this. If the scheduler is working right, should we not see these logger messages in the backgroundrb_xxx file (not the debug file)?

Regards,

Bharat

Hi,

Actually this is not true. The logger object is available in the Rails environment practically everywhere. See Obie Fernandez's excellent text "The Rails Way" page 18. You are partially correct though. If I was using pure Ruby or IRB then I will have to "require" the logger object. My assumption is that Backgroundrb interfaces seamlessly with a Rails application and therefore has access to its environment. If there are any limitations then please point those out since I may be going down the wrong way.

Well, put following code in root directory of your rails app and run it:

require File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__),"config","environment") t_user = User.find_by_id(1) logger.info("Hello World : user is : #{t_user.login}")

You will find that, even though AR is logging the query, next line throws error:

undefined local variable or method `logger' for main:Object (NameError) zsh: exit 1 ruby lib/foo.rb

BackgrounDRb does exactly that for loading rails environment and hence, you don't have access to logger object thats defined in rails(although, you do have access to logger which is specifically for backgroundrb).

I have been able to get the scheduler going both using the cron style and using add_periodic_timer. I show the code below:

class HelloWorker < BackgrounDRb::MetaWorker set_worker_name :hello_worker def create(args = nil)    add_periodic_timer(10) do      Post.say_hello    end end

# def yml_schedule # logger.info "Hello from yml_schedule" # Post.say_hello # end end

class << self    def say_hello      logger.info 'Hello from Post model'    end end

end

One thing that I learned the hard way is that the key to make sure that the scheduled workers work correctly in Backgroundrb is that the backgroundrb debug log file is empty! That is, if there are any errors anywhere including other workers that are loaded then the scheduler stops working! I was following the tutorial in the Advanced Rails Recipes book that you wrote with Greg Pollock and the BillingWorker was creating problems. I deleted it and everything started to work right.

I have one request. Since an end-to-end tutorial in Backgroundrb current release is not available, it would be great if you can publish one. I own the Advanced Rails Recipes book and was using your recipe that I mention above, but since the Backgroundrb API has changed, it is creating problems. Do you think that you can publish the updated recipe code for the current version of Backgroundrb at the book's website so that we can use it in its entirety and not get tripped up? I can help you verify it and test it.

I am sorry about that and I am working with Mike for updating the recipe. At least, pdf version should be released with updated text.

I am upgrading a Rails 1.2.6 application to Rails 2.1.0. It uses Backgroundrb and therefore I have to upgrade to the latest release right?

Not necessarily, but I _do_ recommend to upgrade anyways. Just keep two things in mind:

1. Do not use inbuilt cache object, its a toy (i hate myself for writing it). But thankfully, backgroundrb comes with mechanism to replace that cache with memcache(refer the docs, its really trivial). Stability should increase by leap and bounds. 2. Avoid spawning workers, unless you must.

I don't understand this. Can you please clarify.

I meant, if you run bdrb with "./script/backgroundrb start" bdrb server gets daemonized and all the puts statements will be gobbled up.

Hello Hemant, Thanks for the quick response. You wrote:

"I meant, if you run bdrb with "./script/backgroundrb start" bdrb server gets daemonized and all the puts statements will be gobbled up."

That is how I have been starting it! You mean there is an alternate way? Please let me know. Where on the Backgroundrb site do you mention that? I may not be paying enough attention while reading it.

Bharat

Nothing much, just:

./script/backgroundrb start

It will daemonize the process in background and redirect STDOUT,STDERR and stuff.

Also, about the book, I don't really know, If it will be possible to give away pdf version to those who bought printed copy, I will see what can be done. If possible, we can just distribute that chapter.