Backgroundrb Usage in Rails App

Hey Guys, '

I am developing a rails application for a client. Suffice it to say I have to do some long running tasks so of course I used my favorite plugin backgroundrb. Unfortunately I have a problem. I recently put some new work into a background task that requires the use of ruburple (a gem for connecting to IM protocols). Since then, I noticed that the worker that uses it sometimes just stops running with no explanation.

I checked the logs and I assume the relevant code is below:

libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.   (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

** (process:13909): CRITICAL **: xmlnode_set_attrib: assertion `value != NULL' failed

** (process:13909): CRITICAL **: xmlnode_set_attrib: assertion `value != NULL' failed

** (process:13909): CRITICAL **: xmlnode_set_attrib: assertion `value != NULL' failed #{my_rails_app}/releases/.../vendor/plugins/backgroundrb/framework/core.rb:149: [BUG] Segmentation fault ruby 1.8.6 (2007-06-07) [i486-linux]

My question is two-fold:

1) what's the best way to go about fixing this? How can I get more detailed information regarding the problem here. I assume the combination of the CRITICAL and the always fun segmentation fault is killing the thread. How can I find and eliminate the problem or implement exception handling so it ignores the issue.

2) How can I just force the thread back up if it dies. There has to be a way to have backgroundrb recreate the thread if it dies, right? I mean sure, that segmentation fault shouldn't happen but if it does, I need a way to bring the thread back online.

So if you could help with that I would appreciate it. I know ezra pokes around here every once in a while.

BTW the app is running on

ruby 1.8.6 (2007-06-07) [i486-linux] rails 2.0.1 ubuntu 7.10 gems are updated

and the weird part is that the "segmentation fault" doesn't happen every time. Most of the time it works just fine. However 1/5 times the fault will occur and the thread dies.

BTW, the line that it references for the segmentation fault:

backgroundrb/framework/core.rb:149

# method starts event loop in the process       def start_reactor         Signal.trap("TERM") { terminate_me }         Signal.trap("INT") { shutdown }         loop do           check_for_timer_events           user_thread_window #=> let user level threads run for a while           ready_fds = select(@read_ios,@write_ios,nil,0.005) # HERE IT FAILS!!!           #next if ready_fds.blank?

next if !ready_fds or ready_fds.empty?

ready_fds = ready_fds.flatten.compact           ready_fds.each do |t_sock|             if t_sock.is_a? UNIXSocket               handle_internal_messages(t_sock)             else               handle_external_messages(t_sock)             end           end         end       end

By any chance, can you run this thing with gdb? Also segmentation fault is one error from which process itself can't recover and must be restarted from outside. You can have a monit script for that.