AWS and hosting a Website

I am currently running an AWS Cloud9 Web App with EC2.

I want a AWS Service that I can set up to run a Website with a Domain Name attached and keep it while I’m not logged into Amazon?

Any Suggestions?

Cheers Dave

Unless you want to plunge into exploring container-land, what's wrong with an EC2 instance and Route53 for DNS?

I want a AWS Service that I can set up to run a Website with a Domain Name attached and keep it while I'm not logged into Amazon?

Unless you want to plunge into exploring container-land, what's wrong with an EC2 instance and Route53 for DNS?

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com twitter: @hassan Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote

And once you have an EC2 instance, set up a separate static IP address in the EC2 control panel, which you can switch around to different instances, or assign to an Elastic Load Balancer if you want to stand up multiple instances of the same app on separate VPSs.

Walter

Hi so I can use EC2 store the Rails App and Route53 to manage the Domain Name?

Cheers Dave

I'm not sure what you mean by "store" -- an EC2 instance is a server that you can deploy your app on.

And yes Route53 is AWS's DNS management system.

I meant a place where I can run my Rails App from so its runs all the time.

Cheers Dave

That's pretty much the definition of a server, eh? Though whether the app runs "all the time" is at least partially up to you :grinning:

Best of luck!

How do you ensure it runs all the time?

I use Heroku for my AWS Rails app and it's free (for my use).

Phil

Unfortunately Heroku doesn’t store images etc.

Cheers Dave

LOL, what's your uptime requirement and budget? Let's start here:

+ Do you have untested code in your app that could crash it? + Is your system configured to monitor your app and restart it when it crashes? + Is your system configured to notify you when it can't reliably restart a crashed app? + Do you have monitoring in place to notify you when your app's unreachable?

Fix the ones you answered "no" to and then we'll discuss next steps towards "all the time" :slight_smile:

Strange… I guess my site doesn’t exist then. LOL. Yes, Heroku stores images and such. It is a AWS reseller.

Good luck!

Phil

Heroku use another provider like AWS to store images

How do you ensure it runs all the time?

By this do you possibly mean "How to auto-run the server on boot and restart it if it fails?".

Colin

Hi Hassan

All my code in my app is tested.

My system isn’t configured to monitor your my App and restart it when it crashes. But since I only have a few Websites monitoring wouldn’t be a problem. If it crashed I would look at the the logs.

No to 3 and 4 But see 2.

Cheers Dave

My system isn't configured to monitor your my App and restart it when it crashes. But since I only have a few Websites monitoring wouldn't be a problem. If it crashed I would look at the the logs.

Then it won't "run all the time". The point isn't troubleshooting after the fact, it's automating the processes to *keep it running*.

Also,

All my code in my app is tested.

I have yet to see an app with really adequate tests, even ones that your-choice-of-tool claims have 100% coverage.

But managed restarts and alerting address that up to the point of needing to deploy redundant infrastructure.

Excluding My system isn’t configured to monitor your my App and restart it when it crashes. But since I only have a few Websites monitoring wouldn’t be a problem. If it crashed I would look at the the logs.

What to I need set up in AWS to get my Website running all the time?

I would like to know how to do

• Is your system configured to monitor your app and restart it when it crashes?
  • Is your system configured to notify you when it can’t reliably restart a crashed app?
  • Do you have monitoring in place to notify you when your app’s unreachable?

With AWS Cloud as soon as you log out the Website stops running

Too broad to answer. It depends on the server OS, how you've set up Rails (web server, app server), budget, etc. etc.

Do you have a current running EC2 instance, or is this brand new?

Yes I have EC2 instance but its on Cloud9

This Cloud9 thing isn't remotely relevant to this discussion.

You need to provision an EC2 instance of your own, configure it as necessary and deploy your app to it. Those are the first steps toward having your app "run all the time".