Auto increment primary key different from the default 'id'

Hi!

I working in an application (developed in access over a oracle DB) on production server with all tables and fields that can't be changed. No table has an 'id' field for his primary key. I want to migrate this application to RoR, first in a development server, but i found some problems:

I run a scaffold to create one simple table, and this is my migration code: class CreateSafCarrecs < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table (:saf_carrecs, :primary_key => "idcarrec") do |t|       t.column :desccarrec, :text     end   end   def self.down     drop_table :saf_carrecs   end end

With this code, and running 'rake db:migrate', the table and the sequence for the autonumeric primary_key was created at the database. But when i want to insert a new row in the table through the new form generated with scaffold, it shows me this error:

OCIError: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into ("SAF_CARRECS"."IDCARREC"): INSERT INTO saf_carrecs (idcarrec, desccarrec) VALUES(NULL, empty_clob())

It seems like the primary_key was not generated automaticly.

I search for a solution and i modify my model like this: class SafCarrec < ActiveRecord::Base   before_create :get_next_id   def get_next_id     id = ActiveRecord::Base.connection.select_value("select saf_carrecs_seq.nextval from dual")     self.idcarrec = id   end end

With this modification I consult the development.log and seems like the insert goes ok: 'INSERT INTO saf_carrecs (idcarrec, desccarrec) VALUES(10080, empty_clob())'

But just after this line in development.log, RoR make a select of the row by the 'id' field and show me this error in the browser: OCIError: ORA-00904: "ID": invalid identifier: SELECT desccarrec FROM saf_carrecs WHERE id = 10081

How can RoR make a select using 'id' field, if I changed it for 'idcarrec'? How can make it works?

Thanks, and sorry for my English.

Your model should have: :primary_key => 'idcarrec' for AR to know how to build SQL.

iPhonized!

Thank you so much emanuele!

I put 'set_primary_key "idcarrec"' in my saf_carrec.rb and all works fine.