authenticity problem with jrails ajax

I'm using jrails and I found when I use the authenticity_token in certain javascript calls, that the url works differently in that the paramters in the :with clause get dropped if they are in a json type syntax. Below is an example of a remote_function() call from JS that used to work fine without authenticity. When I enabled authenticity it adds the authenticity token automatically, but drops sending the data in the :with part. I commented out this code as shown and inserted an actual ajax call that does work fine, with authenticity, but seems like not as much of the prefered approach. I've had similar problems with field_observer() calls in some cases. I think if the json syntax is not used when there is just one parameter, it does work.

function update_server(info) {

<%#= remote_function(:url => {:action => 'resize_field'},                               :with => '{col:info.col,width:info.width}') # auth-OK                                %> $.ajax({data: {col:info.col,width:info.width,authenticity_token:FORM_AUTH_TOKEN}, dataType:'script', type:'post', url:'/shgrid/resize_field'})