Augmenting to_s for ActiveRecord

So, I have a model, and I’ve defined some non-persisted attributes. I’d like to augment the to_s to include these in to_s and other output statements (like whatever awesome print is calling).

If possible, I’d like to augment the existing functionality (vs replacing it)? Is there a standard way to do this? I can probably figure out how to do this if someone could point me to where to_s is being defined in ActiveRecord.

Thanks,

So, I have a model, and I've defined some non-persisted attributes. I'd like to augment the to_s to include these in to_s and other output statements (like whatever awesome print is calling).

What is it that you want to call to_s on? An instance of the model or the attribute itself? If the attribute then what class it is? If the model instance then just define to_s in your model class to do whatever you want.

Colin

The model itself.

So right now when you inspect, puts, etc on the model, it shows only the attributes which are persistent. I would like to augment it to also show my non-persisted attributes. This is for debugging purposes only.

I’m guessing somewhere in ActiveModel or ActiveRecord, the to_s is being overridden. Is there a general way I can override so that to_s, inspect, and awesome_print will all show the non-persisted attributes?