associations seemed saved in console, but aren't

I have a Course model:

class Course < ActiveRecord::Base

belongs_to :interaction_outline, :class_name => "Tree", :foreign_key => "interaction_outline_id"   belongs_to :token_outline, :class_name => "Tree", :foreign_key => "token_outline_id"

after_save :make_outlines

def make_outlines   self.create_interaction_outline :name=> self.name+"_interaction_outline"     self.create_token_outline :name=> self.name+"_token_outline"   end

end

After it is saved, the course creates some default outlines/trees. These in turn create some defaults:

class Tree < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :edit_lists, :dependent=> :destroy   has_many :definitions, :dependent=> :destroy   has_many :courses   belongs_to :tree_node #the top node

validates_presence_of :name   validates_uniqueness_of :name

after_save :make_top

def make_top     self.create_tree_node     self.tree_node.create_definition :name=>"top", :content=> "<application></application>"   end

end

The app is basically an outline editor that swaps in xml values for outline items.

When I create a course in the console, all the defaults are created and associations set:

c=Course.create :name=>"foo"

=> #<Course id: 5, name: "foo", interaction_outline_id: 14, token_outline_id: 15, created_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18", updated_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18">

c

=> #<Course id: 5, name: "foo", interaction_outline_id: 14, token_outline_id: 15, created_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18", updated_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18">

c.interaction_outline

=> #<Tree id: 14, name: "foo_interaction_outline", tree_node_id: 14, created_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18", updated_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18">

c.interaction_outline.tree_node

=> #<TreeNode id: 14, tree_id: nil, definition_id: 10, ancestry: nil, position: nil, created_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18", updated_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18">

c.interaction_outline.tree_node.definition

=> #<Definition id: 10, name: "top", content: "<application></application>", tree_id: 14, created_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18", updated_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18">

HOWEVER, they are not actually saved:

Course.all

=> [#<Course id: 5, name: "foo", interaction_outline_id: nil, token_outline_id: nil, created_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18", updated_at: "2011-07-19 17:11:18">] What?

This is the value returned by my controllers, too, with no foreign keys and thus no includes possible. Why?

I have confirmed that all my composed objects are valid.

Thanks!

Matt

After some research, I moved the creation of the associated objects to the controller#create, where it belongs, really, and the code worked.

I was getting contradictory results in the console because I was using the after_save filter. At first, the various builds/associations done in the after_save filter are reflected in the status of the record in the console. However, the associations/foreign keys were NOT saved since they were created after_save. So when I called up the record from the db again (Course.all), they were gone--tho the associated objects themselves were in the db.

My first guess would be that it has to do with the definitions for the following methods:

create_tree_node tree_node.create_definition

What happens if, after the IRB code you pasted in, you call

c.save Course.all

(if that doesn’t work, does the following work?)

c.interaction_outline.save c.interaction_outline.tree_node.save Course.all