association generated methods not working

I'm definitely a noob to rails so sorry if this is trivial. I have tables with associations on them. The associations are supposed to add methods to my models like model.others and model.others= and so on but when I try to use them I get errors like the following.

NoMethodError: undefined method `states' for #<Ad:0x2c8a88c>         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.5/lib/active_record/attribute_methods.rb:260:in `method_missing'         from (irb):4

I've followed the execution in the debugger and all that the method_missing seems to do is generate setters, getters and ? for the fields in the table, it doesn't seem to generate or look for any of the methods that

says it should. I only did this once though and I didn't really understand what I was reading

My code is the following

Model classes:

file: app/models/ad.rb class Ad < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :customer   has_and_belongs_to_many :state end

file: app/models/state.rb class State < ActiveRecord::Base   has_and_belongs_to_many :ad   has_many :zip_code   has_many :town end

Migration:

create_table :ads do |t|       t.integer :property_type_id       t.float :priority_weighting       t.float :price_min       t.float :price_max       t.float :distance_max       t.boolean :for_sale       t.boolean :for_lease       t.float :cost_per_click       t.float :cost_per_click       t.references :customer       t.binary :image_size_1       t.binary :image_size_2

t.timestamps     end

create_table "states", :force => true do |t|     t.string "name"     t.string "abbreviation"   end

create_table "ads_states", :force => true do |t|     t.integer "ad_id"     t.integer "state_id"   end

(actually I took this from schema.rb)

when I run script/console and play around I get this:

state = State.new

=> #<State id: nil, name: nil, abbreviation: nil>

state.save

=> true

ad = Ad.new

=> #<Ad id: nil, property_type_id: nil, priority_weighting: nil, price_min: nil, price_max: nil, distance_max: nil, for_sale: nil, for_lease: nil, cost_per_click: nil, customer_id: nil, image_size_1: nil, image_size_2: nil, created_at: nil, updated_at: nil>

ad.state

=>

ad.state_ids

=>

ad.state_ids = [state.id]

=> [2]

ad.states

NoMethodError: undefined method `states' for #<Ad:0x419db84>         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.5/lib/active_record/attribute_methods.rb:260:in `method_missing'         from (irb):20

ad.states = [state]

NoMethodError: undefined method `states=' for #<Ad:0x419db84>         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.5/lib/active_record/attribute_methods.rb:255:in `method_missing'         from (irb):21

ad.states << [state]

NoMethodError: undefined method `states' for #<Ad:0x419db84>         from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.5/lib/active_record/attribute_methods.rb:260:in `method_missing'         from (irb):22

I have similar problems with has_many however belongs_to seems to work.

I get the same exact problems when I try this in the controller. I'm using Rails 2.3.5 and Ruby 1.8.7

Please let me know if you need any more info this is all I could think of.

Following just a quick look at the code see below for some obvious issues.

I'm definitely a noob to rails so sorry if this is trivial. I have tables with associations on them. The associations are supposed to add methods to my models like model.others and model.others= and so on but when I try to use them I get errors like the following.

NoMethodError: undefined method `states' for #<Ad:0x2c8a88c> from C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.5/lib/active_record/attribute_methods.rb:260:in `method_missing' from (irb):4

I've followed the execution in the debugger and all that the method_missing seems to do is generate setters, getters and ? for the fields in the table, it doesn't seem to generate or look for any of the methods that ActiveRecord::Associations::ClassMethods says it should. I only did this once though and I didn't really understand what I was reading

My code is the following

Model classes:

file: app/models/ad.rb class Ad < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :customer has_and_belongs_to_many :state

That should be :states (plural)

end

file: app/models/state.rb class State < ActiveRecord::Base has_and_belongs_to_many :ad

Should be :ads

has_many :zip_code

:zip_codes

has_many :town

:towns

Colin

Thank you so much. That solved it. I can't believe I didn't try changing that. I could have sworn singular was the way it was done in the guides and tutorials. knowing when to use plural and when to use singular is confusing. actually when you think about it it always makes sense but for some reason it just doesn't click with me.