Associated child records not created on creation of a parent.

I am trying to create a record with association. Within the create method, I would also like to pre-populate dependent (has_many) records from a template in the database.

The child records are <u>mysteriously rolled back </u> if I insert them in a loop. If I try to insert a single child record, it works.I have read the books and tried to google my way out of this but am at a dead end. Any help is appreciated.

Problem Statement ------------      PrototypeModel has many Departments .

Departments may also be grouped within Departments.

Trying to create a new PrototypeModel and populating the departments (behind the scenes) from a template PrototypeModel specified by the user in params[:prototype_model][:parent_id].

The save of the PrototypeModel fails as the new Department records are invalid.        I checked the instances and find that the department.id is nil. But that id is supposed to be populated by the associated save! If I replace the departments.build argument in the controller::create with a set of static arguments like :name => 'Test name', :description=> 'Test Desc' then it works. though only one hard code department is created :frowning:

Just cant get my head around this. Code is below:

Code :

1. class PrototypeModel < ActiveRecord::Base    2. belongs_to :author, :class_name => 'User'    3. has_many :departments    4. belongs_to :prototype_model    5. acts_as_tree :foreign_key => "parent_id"    6. end

Code :

1. class Department < ActiveRecord::Base    2. validates_presence_of :name, :description    3. validates_presence_of :parent_id    4. acts_as_tree :foreign_key => "parent_id"    5. belongs_to :department    6. belongs_to :prototype_model    7. end

Code :

1. # POST /prototype_models    2. # POST /prototype_models.xml    3. def create    4.    5. @template_model = PrototypeModel.find( params [:prototype_model][:parent_id] )    6. template_departments = @template_model.departments    7.    8. @prototype_model = PrototypeModel.new(params [:prototype_model])    9. @prototype_model.author = current_user   10.   11. for mydepartment in template_departments   12. logger.debug "Cloning Department #{mydepartment.name}"   13.   14. newDepartment= @prototype_model.departments.build( :name => mydepartment.name, :description=> mydepartment.description, :parent_id=> mydepartment.parent_id )   15. end   16.   17. respond_to do |format|   18. if @prototype_model.save   19. flash[:notice] = 'PrototypeModel was successfully created.'   20. format.html { redirect_to(@prototype_model) }   21. format.xml { render :xml => @prototype_model, :status => :created, :location => @prototype_model }   22. else   23. format.html { render :action => "new" }   24. format.xml { render :xml => @prototype_model.errors, :status => :unprocessable_entity }   25. end   26. end   27. end

I am using Rails 2.2.2 and Ruby 1.8.6

thanks

Master Chief wrote:

I am trying to create a record with association. Within the create method, I would also like to pre-populate dependent (has_many) records from a template in the database.

I'm not exactly clear what you're doing, but here are some comments that may help.

1. class PrototypeModel < ActiveRecord::Base    2. belongs_to :author, :class_name => 'User'    3. has_many :departments    4. belongs_to :prototype_model    5. acts_as_tree :foreign_key => "parent_id"    6. end

1. class Department < ActiveRecord::Base    2. validates_presence_of :name, :description    3. validates_presence_of :parent_id    4. acts_as_tree :foreign_key => "parent_id"    5. belongs_to :department    6. belongs_to :prototype_model    7. end

1. Are the two belongs_to associations that reference their     own class necessary, or can you use the parent association     generated by acts_as_tree?

2. You should use "validates_presence_of :parent" instead.     Using the foreign key will prevent validation when the     parent is new. You have to make sure that either     (1), the foreign-key is non-NULL and points to an existing     record, or (2), that a new parent object is assigned to the     association.

Thank you for your response!

1. I didnt know acts_as_tree generated an association. Removed parent association from both classes. 2. Changed the validates_presence_of clause.

It still gave me the same errors. :frowning:

New Info: I also tried after removing the vpof clause altogether in departments. It removed a bunch of parent queries from the log. What remained was just a BEGIN and ROLLBACK but no error in the log. And in the flash area I still got the message that the department is invalid, so it cannot save the prototype_model.

Going to add some more logging to see if I get any more info. Have been stuck here for 3 days, so really appreciate your help!

regards

Resolved! One of the data sets inserted thru SQL as a template was not passing the Validates_presence_of clauses so it was failing to insert the association.

Thats why my static data was working.

Also changed the validates_presence_of: parent_id to validates_presence_of: parent

Also removed the self reference in the belongs_to...

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction! Now I can get back on track..... :slight_smile: