Assign random password.

Hello

I have a user table in my database and what I wish to do is have a random password generated for each user on create which is then sent to their email address. I was wondering how I would assign the random password.

I have the following in my view:

<p>     <div id="p1"><%= t('.username')%></div>     <%= f.text_field :username %>   </p>

<p>     <div id="p1"><%= t('.email')%></div>     <%= f.text_field :email %>   </p>

<p class="button"><%= f.submit 'Create Account' %></p>

The following in my controller:

def create     @user = User.new(params[:user])

respond_to do |format|       if @user.save         Notifier.user_created(@user).deliver         session[:user_id] = @user.id         format.html { redirect_to @user, notice: 'User was successfully created.' }         format.json { render json: @user, status: :created, location: @user }       else         format.html { render action: "new" }         format.json { render json: @user.errors, status: :unprocessable_entity }       end     end   end

And I have the following in my user model:

attr_accessor :password   before_save :encrypt_password

def encrypt_password     if password.present?       self.password_salt = BCrypt::Engine.generate_salt       self.password_hash = BCrypt::Engine.hash_secret(password, password_salt)     end   end

def self.random_string(len)     #generate a random password consisting of strings and digits     chars = ("a".."z").to_a + ("A".."Z").to_a + ("0".."9").to_a     newpass = ""     1.upto(len) { |i| newpass << chars[rand(chars.size-1)]}     return newpass   end

def self.authenticate(email, password)     user = find_by_email(email)     if user && user.password_hash == BCrypt::Engine.hash_secret(password, user.password_salt)       user     else       nil     end   end

I will have to remove my if password.present? line because it won't be present but I have the random string code, I just need to assign it to the hash/salt.

The easiest way to make this work with your current code is to just add

@user.password = User.random_string(8)

In the create method of your model after

@user = User.new(params[:user])

A couple of other quick things you might want to consider, 1.) Don’t allow the ‘password’ attribute to be mass assigned. 2.) The random string method probably doesn’t belong in the User class and could be refactored

Hope that helps