assert_select trying to verify the presence of a textarea

Hello,

One of my functional tests looks like this:

  def test_presence_of_free_text
    profile = Profile.find :first
    post :edit, {:id => profile.id}
    assert_select "textarea", :name => "record[free_text_ec]"
  end

The test results in a failure, because the element cannot be found.

I'm pretty sure the element should be there, and I've tried the
following
combinations as well:
assert_select "textarea", :name => "record[free_text_ec]"
assert_select "textarea.record_free_text_ec", :name =>
"record[free_text_ec]"
assert_select "input[type=textarea][id=record_free_text_ec]"
assert_select "[type=textarea][id=record_free_text_ec]"
assert_select "input[type=TEXTAREA][id=record_free_text_ec]"
assert_select "LI textarea", :name => "record[free_text_ec]"
assert_select
"html:root>body>div>div>div>div>form>ol>li>ol>li>textarea", :id =>
"record_free_text_ec"

They all fail.

One does not fail, and that's
assert_select "*", :name => "record[free_text_ec]"
But, to be sure, I've checked this option with a dummy name
(e.g. assert_select "*", :name => "Hjdueubduagagaxxxxx")
and it strangely enough it succeeds as well.

Does anyone know how to make the assert_select find my textarea tag
correctly?

Thanks,

Gian

I believe that the selector “record[free_text_ec]” Is not
correct. It’s looking for a tag called record with a free_text_ec
attribute.

I don’t believe your call is doing what you expect though. The
:name option is going towards an equality? argument, not the selector
argument.

I believe you test should read

assert_select “textarea#record[id=free_text_ec]”

HTH

Daniel

Thanks for your reply Daniel.

I'm afraid this does not work either.

An hml snippet of the actual page looks like this:
...
  <li class="form-element ">
    <label for="record_free_text_ec">Additional text for the EC</

    <div class="info">&nbsp;</div>
    <textarea cols="40" id="record_free_text_ec"
name="record[free_text_ec]" rows="20">
    </textarea>
  </li>
...

I can't see what's wrong in the assert_select

Cheers,

Gian

Ok that makes it clear. The id is id=“record_free_text_ec” so the assert_select should be

assert_select “textarea#record_free_text_ec”

That should find it. The # will find a textarea tag with the given id. This is pretty much the same as a css selector.

HTH

Daniel

again thanks Daniel,

In my case the assert_select works for pages that are NOT using
active scaffold, I just do, as you proposed...

assert_select "textarea#record_free_text_ec"

and this works.

I think the problem lies in the fact my (GET) request in the
test, is probably not returning what I expected, and that's why the
assert_select doesn't find the textarea.

From the browser the GET returns the right html, from the

test the GET is giving me values 0 or 302 for an assert_response.

I've checked the response with puts @response.inspect, and it
doesn't look like what I should get.

Pretty weird, maybe I'm overlooking something...

Cheers,

Gian

Just for the records, for whoever might end up on this thread.

I found out what the problem was, it has nothing to do with active
scaffold.

The cause of this problem was a missing fixture in my tests.

More specifically. I use the plug in act_as_authenticated, and
the first line in my tests is usually login_as(:someone), that
sets the user as logged in.

The method login_as worked fine, and the @current_user instance
variable was set in my controllers, but the instances of an
association
(i.e. has_and_belongs_to_many :roles) where not made and not set
in the specific user instance, this caused some conditions to fail and
resulted in a redirect.

Moral of the story: I needed to add an extra fixture to my functional
test.