assert_select and rendering of partials: bug?

Has anyone else had any probs with assert_select silently failing to parse partials that are returned after an ajax call (with link_to_remote, for example). I have the exact same response returned for both vanilla and xhr requests except that the xhr one isn't rendered with the layout. assert_select finds all the elements in the vanilla one, but fails to find any of the elements in the partial.

Bug? Known behaviour? Something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks Chris

Chris T wrote:

Has anyone else had any probs with assert_select silently failing to parse partials that are returned after an ajax call (with link_to_remote, for example). I have the exact same response returned for both vanilla and xhr requests except that the xhr one isn't rendered with the layout. assert_select finds all the elements in the vanilla one, but fails to find any of the elements in the partial.

Bug? Known behaviour? Something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks Chris

I *think* this is a bug, having had a look at the assert_select test_suite, which I believe assumes that if a response has a content-type of JS we've got an RJS render going on. I've posted a bug report and test case at:

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/6745