Array problem

Hi,

I need to parse a string char by char, if the char is a number it should go to a array without any modification, however in case of letters they should be decoded into hexadecimals before they go to the array, for example if I have:

text = “hello5” the array should be

=> [“68”, “65”, “6c”, “6c”, “6f”, “5”]

So only letters should be converted.

I wrote the following code but don’t know what the problem with it:

text = “hello5” number = /\d/ ntext =

i = 0 while i < text.length if text[i].chr=~ number ntext << text[i].chr else ntext << text[i].chr.unpack(‘U’)[i].to_s(16) end end

It seems to work for the first value only text[0], when replaced with text[1] or anything else I get: “in `to_s’: wrong number of arguments (1 for 0) (ArgumentError)”

So the array ntext only stores the first converted letter, I couldn’t spot the problem?!!

Your help is really appreciated.

Regards

Hi --

Hi,

I need to parse a string char by char, if the char is a number it should go to a array without any modification, however in case of letters they should be decoded into hexadecimals before they go to the array, for example if I have:

text = "hello5" the array should be

=> ["68", "65", "6c", "6c", "6f", "5"]

So only letters should be converted.

I wrote the following code but don't know what the problem with it:

text = "hello5" number = /\d/ ntext =

i = 0 while i < text.length if text[i].chr=~ number      ntext << text[i].chr else     ntext << text[i].chr.unpack('U')[i].to_s(16) end end

One problem with it is that you don't increment i :slight_smile: The other problem is that you've got unpack('U')[i] but you mean [0].

Keep in mind, though, that you almost never have to maintain a counter explicitly in Ruby, since the language gives you lots of ways to operate on collections. For example:

ntext = text.split(//).map {|char|    case char    when /\d/      char    else      "%x" % char.unpack('U')    end }

David

Hi David,

what is the meaning of "%x" and also ' "%x" % ' Sorry I am so noob.

Thank you

Hi --

Hi David,

what is the meaning of "%x" and also ' "%x" % ' Sorry I am so noob.

It's a way of generating strings, using interpolated arguments. The target string has %-based format characters, like you'd use with sprintf. You need to provide one argument for each element in the format string.

So to print a string and a decimal, you'd do:

puts "%d is %s" % [10, "ten"] # 10 is ten

%x does a hex conversion:

puts "%x in hex is %s", [10, "sixteen"] # a in hex is sixteen

David

ntext = text.split(//).map {|char|    case char    when /\d/      char    else      "%x" % char.unpack('U')    end

}

Also as oneliner (1.8 and 1.9)

ntext = text.split(//).map {|char| char =~ /\d/ ? char : "%x" % char.unpack("U") }