All actions executing twice in rails app

I pre-compiled my app to use in production mode. And after that it started to perform every action twice. I am not able to resolve it. My log comes something like this.

I pre-compiled my app to use in production mode. And after that it started to perform every action twice. I am not able to resolve it. My log comes something like this.

You might need to describe your production setup in a little more detail if you want people to be able to workout what is going wrong.

Fred

I am currently running my app in development mode. This log is of development mode. Am not able to deduce what exactly went wrong.

Regards Sumit Srivastava

The power of imagination makes us infinite…

I am thinking along the lines: why 2 requests? Why not 3, or 4, or an infinite loop? You mentioned you “pre-compiled” it as a preparation to deploy I guess. Can you tell more about what that exactly means in your case? Basically it looks like your rails app is receiving two requests one after the other; though you can see from timestamps of first pair of requests it’s not exactly duplicated requests:

Started GET “/assets/lowpro.js?body=1&=1343203450861" Started GET "/assets/lowpro.js?body=1&=1343203450915”

You might be running two web servers that both might be forwarding requests to the app, or you misconfigured something: either for your web server (i.e. Apache), or you used some too-clever before filters logic that only redirect one. Does the latter ring a bell? Are you counting login/access county at all (this would likely be an app level before filter because of quite a few different actions being affected).

I do have before_filter and to make sure they aren’t messing up things, I ran my app after removing them but nothing changed. The same code was running fine earlier but now I am not able to get where it has got problem.

Regards Sumit Srivastava

So what did you do exactly to “compile” the code. I mean it is pretty clear that the answer lighs there. Just BTW have you tried simply restarting your machine, or checked that there are no renegade Rails server processes running? But most important are the steps that you took to make a working project break :slight_smile: Please take some time to explain what you did when you realized “OK, it’s ready for prod, I better compile it”.

What did you change between the last time it worked, and now?

Peter

I was actually looking to insert custom error pages. On Googling I got to know production mode produces error page by default. I just wanted to explore it and ran it in production mode. The production mode required some pre-compiled files so just did that.

Regards Sumit Srivastava

Peter,

I added code for session management where one user can login only using one browser at a time. Other than that I tried production mode of the app.

Regards Sumit Srivastava

Check your custom error pages implementation (controller code). It’s thinkable that you do a redirect there if there is no error or something.

“I added code for session management where one user can login only using one browser at a time”

And what if the same user is doing a request from another browser? What actions do you take? It sounds reasonable to me to assume that your logic for determining if the browser detection logic is bugged.

I store the request.session_options[:id] in my user table when one logs in. If another user logs in using another browser, this value is updated. For every action requested by user this value is checked by current value of this variable. If not matched, user is redirected to login page. Following is the code,

def deny_multiple_login if(session[:user]) @session_old_key = (User.where(“username =?”, session[:user].username)).first.current_sign_in_token

@session_current_key = request.session_options[:id]

if(@session_current_key != @session_old_key)
        respond_to do |format|
            format.html {redirect_to logout_path}

end
    end
end

end This one is defined in ApplicationController. And then I user before_filter :deny_multiple_login in my ContactsController. Also I have another controller Usercontroller which is responsible for login actions and contacts controller is responsible to manage contacts list of every user.

Regards Sumit Srivastava

I always forget, but you might want to try EXPLICITLY “true” at the end (if session[:user] is FALSE). I mean just use return true as an else statement to the that session[:user] condition, or just put true at the very end just before this before filter closes.

Tried it now. Didn’t help.

Regards Sumit Srivastava

I once experienced this kind of problem. This only happend with the create controller in my case. So every new record I created got created twice. I debugged step by step for hours but couldn’t find the problem. I think I just moved on to a newer Rails, or newer gems of this or that, and it went away. I was extremely puzzeld, because even with the step by step debugging I failed to see where the second request got intitiated.

I hope you solve it.

Cheers ace

If that (and everything else) fails, I could try to help you debug it in a google chat, skype or whatever, cause I got some free time on my hands, and debugging is fun :slight_smile:

As people mentioned, you got to provide more info/code and whatnot, it’s just hardly doable with an answer every hour :wink:

Looks like js is running twice. Try rake assets:clean, and then clear your browser cache (or try in incognito mode)

I am currently running my app in development mode. This log is of development mode. Am not able to deduce what exactly went wrong.

Clear out the precompiled assets - those will interfere with the development ones

Fred

Frederick!

I deleted all the pre-compiled assets in public folder and restarted my machine. It worked! Thanks :slight_smile:

Regards Sumit Srivastava