adding methods, accessing from console and rake tasks

another noob question... how do I add methods to a class such that they can be access from the console and from rake?

Details:

I have a ruby script to fetch tweets from the search api. That works fine, saves my tweets to the db. I have a separate, basic rails app to view and manage the tweets and search queries. All of that works fine, too.

Now I want to integrate the script into the rails app so it: -runs as a rake task -runs from cron -runs from a refresh button on the tweets page

The original ruby script has two methods: search_twitter and get_tweets. I copied those into the Tweet controller, but I cannot access them from the rake file or from the console. If I do Tweet.methods from the console, neither method shows up.

So - where is the correct place for these methods, and how do I access them from rake and the console?

Thanks!

-Luke

The original ruby script has two methods: search_twitter and get_tweets. I copied those into the Tweet controller, but I cannot access them from the rake file or from the console. If I do Tweet.methods from the console, neither method shows up.

So - where is the correct place for these methods, and how do I access them from rake and the console?

I'd create a model that did these tweet related tasks (or add them to an existing one if appropriate)

Fred

Putting them in the model helped, getting a quick schooling in OOP from someone else helped, too :slight_smile:

I changed the methods to class methods, and now it behaves as expected.

Thanks!