adding associate objects without persistence operation

Hello,

I have two models, Publication and Person, that are connected via a has many - through association (join-model: Contribution). I have a Publication-object that has already been persisted (i.e. new_record? evaluates to false) and would like to do the following:

1) adding a Person-object that has already been persisted as well to that publication without the new relationship automatically being saved on db-level (.i.e. no new record should be added to the contributions-join table automatically)

2) removing a Person-object from the publication without automatically deleting the contributions-record on db-level that links the publication and the person

As far as I know the methods 'publication.people <<' (and similar stuff like concat and push) as well as 'publication.people delete' will automatically perform the persistence-operations I would like to avoid. The only method that allows to add associates without performing persistence operations is publication.people.build. But that only adds a new person (new_record? = true), not one which has already been saved.

So my question is: IS there any way to achieve 1) or/and 2), or is Active-Record with its tight coupling of objects and db-records just the 'wrong' object-relational mapper to achieve this?