Add Functional Test to test:functionals Task

I have what I think should be a simple problem, but I’m having issues finding a solution to it via Google.

I’m writing functional tests for my AccountsController. I began by adding tests to the test/functionals/accounts_controller_test.rb file, which worked fine. However, my testing has become significant enough that that file has gotten incredibly long. I would like to split my tests into individual files, like accounts_controller_test_index.rb, accounts_controller_test_show.rb, etc. I can do that, but it was a bit hacky-- the accounts_controller_test_show.rb had to look like this:

require ‘functional/accounts_controller_test’

class AccountsControllerTestShow < AccountsControllerTest … end

but even that was okay. The real problem is that the only way I can run this file is explicitly:

rake test TEST=test/functionals/accounts_controller_test_show.rb

It simply won’t run when rake test:functionals is called.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is the way I’ve split this out (i.e. the require accounts_controller_test and inheritance) the right way to do this?
  2. How do I add this test to be run when rake test:functionals is run? I thought that rake task ran all the test/functionals/*.rb files, but apparently I was wrong.

Thank you!

Kyle

Ah... it WAS a simple problem. I know I've seen this multiple times, but I never had to use this knowledge until now: the rake tasks don't recursively run *.rb files, they recursively run *_test.rb files. I just had to name my files better.

My first question still stands, though. If I don't do the include/inheritance, I get complaints about the AccountsController not existing.

Kyle

Ah... it WAS a simple problem. I know I've seen this multiple times, but I never had to use this knowledge until now: the rake tasks don't recursively run *.rb files, they recursively run *_test.rb files. I just had to name my files better.

My first question still stands, though. If I don't do the include/inheritance, I get complaints about the AccountsController not existing.

You can keep inheriting from ActionController::TestCase, you just need to tell rails which controller class is being tested (by default rails gets this from the test class name):

class MoreTests < ActionController::TestCase   tests AccountsController   ... end

Fred