acts_as_authenticated plugin test help

Hi, We are using acts_as_authenticated plugin latest version as of a couple of days back.

The before_filter :login_required was added to the application controller. So far so good.

However the functional tests are all failing as one would expect (perhaps not me though) witha 302 .... exactly - no one is logged in. This is correct behaviour but a pain when function testing.

Is there a suggested/recommended course of action to handle this ? I have looked around but have been unsuccessful.

PS. I am using the AuthenticatedTestHelper and its _login_as_ method. However this requires that every test method must login. I was just looking for a differnet way ... if there is one. = )

Thank you for all and any help. sinclair

For testing controllers which require login, there was a thread earlier on this list, search for the thread “Testing Actions Requiring A Login”.

The Rails Recipes book has a recipe that shows another way to deal with this problem. It shows how to stub out the login functionality so that you can focus on the core application functionality.

I am using RESTful authentication plugin and I am still figuring out how to use the suggestions from the above thread. Last night I was getting error message when I passed in the user_id, I have to look at the source for the generated code so that I can replicate the login in the functional test. I will post an update when I make progress.

I resolved my problem. For RESTful authentication, there is a login_as(user) method in AuthenticatedTestHelper module that sets the current user in the session from the user fixtures. This is under the lib directory.

In my functional test, I have:

def test_should_show_billing_profile_for_valid_login login_as (:aaron) get :show, :id => :aaron.id assert_response :success assert_select "html:root>head>title", "BillingProfiles: show" end

users.yml looks like this:

quentin:   id: 1   login: quentin   email: quentin@example.com   salt: 7e3041ebc2fc05a40c60028e2c4901a81035d3cd   crypted_password: 00742970dc9e6319f8019fd54864d3ea740f04b1 # test   created_at: <%= 5.days.ago.to_s :db %> aaron:   id: 2   login: aaron   email: aaron@example.com   salt: 7e3041ebc2fc05a40c60028e2c4901a81035d3cd   crypted_password: 00742970dc9e6319f8019fd54864d3ea740f04b1 # test   created_at: <%= 1.days.ago.to_s :db %>

class BillingProfilesController < ApplicationController

before_filter :login_required

def show     @user = User.find(session[:user], :include => [:billing_profile])     @billing_profile = @user.billing_profile

respond_to do |format|       format.html # show.rhtml       format.xml { render :xml => @billing_profile.to_xml }     end   end

The problem was that I was using session[:user_id] in my controller whereas the RESTful authentication module is using session[:user] as shown below:

module AuthenticatedTestHelper   # Sets the current user in the session from the user fixtures.   def login_as(user)     @request.session[:user] = user ? users(user).id : nil   end ....

So I changed my controller code to use session[:user] and my tests now pass! The plugin itself has the API to help you do the functional testing. Very nice indeed.

Thanks Bala! This is the approach I have taken.

sinclair

RESTful authentication is derived from AAA, so it looks like they are very similar. Keep the bar green! I am addicted to autotest now…