[ActiveStorage] ActiveStorage custom storage path configuration per Model attribute

Hello Rails Team! First of all I want to thank you for all job that you make here!!! Rails is a wonderful framework to work with. I am creating an issue because I am not sure I have understood all functionalities of ActiveStorage. My pull request is not quite ready… Here is my issue: ActiveStorage custom storage path configuration per Model attribute Here is our business issue: We use the apartment gem to split our datas on a client basis and we want to make the same with uploaded files and store them in separate folders. thoughtbot has made a wonderfull paperclip gem, but since it is deprecated we are in the process of switching to ActiveStorage all our attachments management. In Paperclip there is a fine feature where you can choose a specific storage path for each of the model attachable attribute and interpolate values in it as follows:

# app/models/user.rb
# in Paperclip
has_attached_file :avatar,
                  path: ':tenant/users/:user_id/:hash/:filename'

Expected behaviour

Being able to configure a custom path. The idea is to make this possible in ActiveStorage too and have something like that:

# app/models/user.rb
# in future ActiveStorage
has_one_attached :avatar,
                 path: ':tenant/users/:id/:unique_secure_token'

### Our current solution For the moment we have made a monkey_patching to implement those storage path by changing the ActiveStorage::Blob#key.

# app/models/user.rb

def document=(attachable)
  document.attach(create_blob(attachable))
end

def attachable_storage_path
  [
    Apartment::Tenant.current.parameterize,
    'users',
    id,
    ActiveStorage::Blob.generate_unique_secure_token
  ].compact.join('/')
end
# app/models/application_record.rb

def attachable_storage_path
  raise NotImplementedError
end

def create_blob(attachable)
  return if attachable.nil?

ActiveStorage::Blob.new.tap do |blob|
    blob.filename = attachable.original_filename
    blob.key = attachable_storage_path
    blob.upload(attachable)
    blob.save!
  end
end

Future solution

I have began to make a PR on ActiveStorage but want to have your feedback on this feature before digging deeper in this problematic and validate the right direction!

Here it is: https://github.com/frantisekrokusekpa/rails/pull/1/files

Thank you for your feedback and advices!

1 Like