activerecord re-sets class members to null??

I have two classes with class variables. One of them derives from active record, the other one does not. I initialize both members to NULL, then lazy-instantiate them. The class which does not derive from active record preserves the value correctly. The class which does derive from active record always seems to be re-setting it to NULL.

class Class1 ## @@thelist holds the initialized value

@@thelist = nil   attr_accessor :name, :id

def self.retrieveall     if @@thelist.nil?       @@thelist = Array.new

entry = Locale.new       entry.id = "en"       entry.name = "english"       @@thelist << entry

//repeat to populate     end

@@thelist   end end

class Class2 < ActiveRecord::Base

## anytime retrieveall is called @@thelist is always NULL. Why?

@@thelist = nil   attr_accessor :name, :id

def self.retrieveall     if @@thelist.nil?       @@thelist = Class2.all     end

@@thelist   end end

I have two classes with class variables. One of them derives from active record, the other one does not. I initialize both members to NULL, then lazy-instantiate them. The class which does not derive from active record preserves the value correctly. The class which does derive from active record always seems to be re-setting it to NULL.

Most classes in your app are reloaded between requests. Is this the problem ?

Fred

To clarify, that of course only happens in development

Fred

Most classes in your app are reloaded between requests. Is this the problem ?

To clarify, that of course only happens in development

Yep, that's it, thanks. Makes me wonder how I can control which classes should be reloaded. I'm trying to make something off of development.rb and production.rb.

Rails comes with 3 development environments already ready to go, look database.yml. In development and testing, all classes are always reloaded. In production they are always cached. How is this not exactly what you want? :slight_smile:

Rails comes with 3 development environments already ready to go, look database.yml. In development and testing, all classes are always reloaded.

This does not seem to be true. In my example above, if a class does not derive from ActiveRecord::Base it preserves its class attributes between requests, a plausible explanation being that it's NOT in fact reloaded.

In production they are always cached. How is this not exactly what you want? :slight_smile:

Very simple. I only would like to be reloading the classes that I'm currently messing with. Reloading all the classes is a waste of time.

> Rails comes with 3 development environments already ready to go, look > database.yml. In development and testing, all classes are always > reloaded.

This does not seem to be true. In my example above, if a class does not derive from ActiveRecord::Base it preserves its class attributes between requests, a plausible explanation being that it's NOT in fact reloaded.

Deriving from activerecord or not should have no incidence. How the particular class is loaded can influence reloading, the only thing that you're likely to do by accident is requiring a file explicitly

Fred