ActiveRecord get all columns including those belonging

Hi, Just new to Rails, and i have some questions : How can i use ActiveRecord associations to retrieve all columns and rows including the columns and rows in the referenced table.? SELECT parents.id, parents.parent_name, kids.id, kids.parent_id, kids.kid_name FROM parents left join kids on parents.id = kids.parent_id In PHP in can retrieve all rows returned by this query from all joined tables using mysql_fetch_array() and the output is parents.id, parents.parent_name, kids.id, kids.parent_id, kids.kid_name Is there an equivalent of this in RoR? Here is the AR Associations that i want to retrieve all columns including those belonging to the referenced table _Code: __* = primary key

• = foreign key__ Table : parents *id parent_name Table : kids *id +parent_id kid_name class Parent < ActiveRecord::Base has_many :kids end class Kid < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :parents end_

Thanks!

Hi, Just new to Rails, and i have some questions :

Welcome!

How can i use ActiveRecord associations to retrieve all columns and rows including the columns and rows in the referenced table.?

*SELECT parents.id, parents.parent_name, kids.id, kids.parent_id, kids.kid_name FROM parents left join kids on parents.id = kids.parent_id * In PHP in can retrieve all rows returned by this query from all joined tables using mysql_fetch_array() and the output is *parents.id, parents.parent_name, kids.id, kids.parent_id, kids.kid_name*

Is there an equivalent of this in RoR?

This is one of the changes in thinking when we switch to Rails. The belongs_to and has_many lets us not worry about the underlying queries too much.

For example, if the goal is to get a list of kids given a parent, then it's this easy:

parent = Parent.find(1) # 1 is the parent_id, use whatever you want parent.kids.size => returns the number of kids parent.kids.first.kid_name # returns the name of the first kid

Another example:

kids = Parent.find(1).kids # get all kids for the parent names = kids.collect { |kid| kid.name } # names is now an array of names

You may also want to take a look at "Rails for PHP Programmers" by Pragmatic Press.

Hope this helps?

Jeff softiesonrails.com purpleworkshops.com

Also try

parent = Parent.find(1, :include => :kids)

Then subsequent calls like Jeff mentions won't actually go to the DB (they are already loaded)...

Im going to try your suggestions. I will also find that book you mentioned..,

Thank you so much!