ActiveRecord and :include

here is my model

class ProductLocation < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :property   has_many :product_location_mappings end

I want to load product_locations along with referenced :product_location_mappings and return a deep model.

@product_locations = ProductLocation.find_all_by_property_id (property_id, :include => [:property, :product_location_mappings])

however result does not include :product_location_mappings... I am using rails 2.3.2, not sure what to do..

slava wrote:

here is my model

class ProductLocation < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :property   has_many :product_location_mappings

Tip: Model names shouldn't be redundant with their navigation. Just call it Mappings. An even better name would reveal the intent of the model...

end

I want to load product_locations along with referenced :product_location_mappings and return a deep model.

@product_locations = ProductLocation.find_all_by_property_id (property_id, :include => [:property, :product_location_mappings])

however result does not include :product_location_mappings... I am using rails 2.3.2, not sure what to do..

Show a unit test that includes all your models linked together, per their yml fixture files. Then show that find() statement locating your target record.

If the code still does not work, gem install assert2 assert_efficient_sql, require 'assert_efficient_sql', and wrap this around your test:

inspect_sql :verbose => true do      product_locations = ProductLocation.find_all_by_property_id         (property_id, :include => [:property, :product_location_mappings])    end

BTW you might also have read your log/test.log, but inspecting your code is what tests are for...

You will get a big blob of JOIN statements. Inspect them to see if they make sense, and run them in your database directly to see what they do.

But, in general, your code looks like the :include directives I have written, so I don't see any specific problem with it. That's why the shotgun of recommendations.

thanks, I ended up doing this.

format.json { render :json => @product_locations.to_json (:include => :product_location_mappings)}