Active Record - Record Count

I have been using ActiveRecord's find_by_sql to obtain the number of records within a date range from a mysql database like this:

result = Xyz.find_by_sql("SELECT COUNT(*) as recordcount FROM xyz where rdate > '#{start_date}' and rdate < '#{end_date}'")[0].recordcount

The problem with the above approach is that it is tied to mysql. Is there a way that I can accomplish the above in a database independent way?

Thanks for any input.

... doug

Something like:

Xyz.where("rdate BETWEEN ? and ?", start_date, end_date).count

or:

Xyz.where(rdate: start_date..end_date).count

ought to work just fine. The latter is shorter, but I think I'd favor the clarity of the former (or maybe I'm just not sufficiently used to that syntax yet). Check out:

Active Record Query Interface — Ruby on Rails Guides

for all sorts of useful ActiveRecord query methods.

-Dave

Doug Jolley wrote in post #1068482:

I have been using ActiveRecord's find_by_sql to obtain the number of records within a date range from a mysql database like this:

result = Xyz.find_by_sql("SELECT COUNT(*) as recordcount FROM xyz where rdate > '#{start_date}' and rdate < '#{end_date}'")[0].recordcount

The problem with the above approach is that it is tied to mysql. Is there a way that I can accomplish the above in a database independent way?

That's not the only problem with this style of query. There's also potentially serious security problems with it as well.

You should read the guide on securing Rails applications. Specifically for this case read up on SQL Injection: