Active Record Query

I have a Projects View that shows a list of all projects... I want to be able to say per project if the currently signed in user is a member or not, and what there role is...

In the project View I have: <% if team_member?(project.id, current_user) %>   <td>Request to Join</td> <% else %>   <td>Already Joined</td> <% end %>

then the helper:

module ProjectsHelper   def team_member?(project_id, current_user)      if current_user.permissions.find_by_project_id(project_id).role.try(:name).nil?           true      else           false      end   end end

*** But that errors. Can you help me out?

Models: permission.rb

class Permission < ActiveRecord::Base     belongs_to :user     belongs_to :project     belongs_to :role end project.rb

class Project < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :permissions     has_many :users, :through => :permissions

end role.rb

class Role < ActiveRecord::Base     has_many :permissions end user.rb

class User < ActiveRecord::Base

belongs_to :instance     has_many :books     has_many :permissions     has_many :projects, :through => :permissions

Error is undefined method `roles' for nil:NilClass

I think the problem is come from this line: current_user.permissions.find_by_project_id(project_id).role.try(:name).nil ?

And I am thinking if using try then it doesn't need to use .nil. You can run this query in console to debug it.

Cheers, Lecky Lao