active record callback

i always worry if myown active_record callback conflicts with rails' implemented corresponding one.i assume rails itself perhaps also use active_record callback.for example:

#myown callback class Book < ActiveRecord::Base   def after_save     ...

end end

when i define the after_save for Book,i think perhaps this after_save has overrided rails itself's implemented one,if so,i want to use both of them.

is my consideration right? does rails use active_record callbacks? if it is true,how do i take care of myown's and rails'.

I think what you want may be either class Book < ActiveRecord::Base after_save do # note, no def   ..... end

or class Book < ActiveRecord::Base after_save :my_after_save

private def my_after_save   ..... end

Colin

thanks,colin.it seems the other two callback ways: handler class and observer are based on class declaration way,so that no override happens.

Please remember to quote the previous message and insert your comments inline so someone finding the conversation in the future will be able to follow the thread more easily. Thanks.

It is not clear from your comment whether your problem is now solved.

Colin

when i define the after_save for Book,i think perhaps this after_save has overrided rails itself's implemented one,if so,i want to use both of them.

is my consideration right? does rails use active_record callbacks? if it is true,how do i take care of myown's and rails'.

You don't have to guess - you can check what rails does. As far as I can tell rails doesn't use actual after_save etc. method and always uses the callback macros (after_save :foo etc.)

Fred