ActionController::Caching::Sweeper not autoloading in 2.3.0 RC1

Just updated to 2.3.0 RC1 and I'm finding that my sweepers are throwing NameErrors (uninitialized constant ActionController::Caching::Sweeper) when evaluation reaches lines like this one:

class PostSweeper < ActionController::Caching::Sweeper

This only happens in the development environment, because that's the only environment where I have "cache_classes" set to false. Relevant stack trace is:

vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:440:in `load_missing_constant'   vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:80:in `const_missing'   app/sweepers/post_sweeper.rb:1   vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:380:in `load_without_new_constant_marking'   vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:380:in `load_file'   vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:521:in `new_constants_in'   vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:379:in `load_file'   vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:259:in `require_or_load'   vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:425:in `load_missing_constant'   vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:80:in `const_missing'   vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:92:in `const_missing'   vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/caching/sweeping.rb: 43:in `const_get'   vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/caching/sweeping.rb: 43:in `cache_sweeper'   vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/caching/sweeping.rb: 41:in `each'   vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/caching/sweeping.rb: 41:in `cache_sweeper'   app/controllers/posts_controller.rb:5

I can get rid of the error by manually adding the following at the top of the sweeper file:

require 'rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/caching/sweeping'

But that's really bizarre, because I can see from the stack trace that that file has already been evaluated!

Any idea what's going on here? I created a fresh Rails app and tried to make a minimal test case but wasn't able to reproduce, so there's something subtle going on.

Cheers, Wincent

I've done a bit more digging and narrowed down the source of the bug. See:

#1977 ActionController::Caching::Sweeper autoloading is broken - Ruby on Rails - rails

Cheers, Wincent