Aceesing non-instance variables in view

Hi, I want pass a variable(which is not a instance variable) from controller to view in rails application, onclick I am going to controller and fetching data with ajax. Since the page is not reloaded I cant set the variable in cookies. So is there any way to pass a variable(which is not an instance variable) from controler to view?

If I understand your question correctly then just define an @variable to store it so @my_variable = something

then in the view use @my_variable.

Colin

Adding @ to a variable doesn make the variable instance variable, its convention that are followed while writing a ruby program, I think...

Here I have a variable x = 10, in my controller how can i access it in view without using cookies.

Adding @ to a variable doesn make the variable instance variable, its convention that are followed while writing a ruby program, I think...

Here I have a variable x = 10, in my controller how can i access it in view without using cookies.

Don't call it x, call it @x then you can access it. Why do you not want to do that?

Colin

Ya, thank you,adding @ to variable made it available in the view.

here, I m making HTTP request using ajax, which goes to my controller and executes a method, Now I m getting return value in view. But I have to display it in popup menu. the code for the pop up is

$.colorbox({html:"<%= @x %>", width:"35%",height:"400px"});

But this value of @x is not displayed in pop up.