Accessing correct ID

Been playing with RoR for a few weeks, got quite far, but having a stupid moment, and a morning of googling isn't getting me anywhere

in my controller, amongst others I have

@car_owners = CarOwner.find(:all, :joins => ["LEFT JOIN users ON users.id = user_id"], :conditions => ["car_ID = ?", @car.id])

in the related view I have

<% for owner in @car_owners %>

.. snip ..

<%= link_to 'show', :controller =>'newowner', :action => 'show', :id => owner.id %>

<% end %>

The problem is the owner.id is actually giving me the users.id as in the left join in the controller

How do I access the actual car_owners.id , I've tried various things, but nothing is giving me the right id

thanks in advance for any help

evamedia wrote:

Been playing with RoR for a few weeks, got quite far, but having a stupid moment, and a morning of googling isn't getting me anywhere

in my controller, amongst others I have

@car_owners = CarOwner.find(:all, :joins => ["LEFT JOIN users ON users.id = user_id"], :conditions => ["car_ID = ?", @car.id])

in the related view I have

<% for owner in @car_owners %>

.. snip ..

<%= link_to 'show', :controller =>'newowner', :action => 'show', :id => owner.id %>

<% end %>

The problem is the owner.id is actually giving me the users.id as in the left join in the controller

How do I access the actual car_owners.id , I've tried various things, but nothing is giving me the right id

thanks in advance for any help

>

You could try adding

:select => "car_owners.id as car_owner_id"

And then saying link_to ... :id => owner.car_owner_id

It sounds like you should be using belongs_to, as in

@car_owners = CarOwner.find(:all, :include => :user, :conditions => ["car_ID = ?", @car.id])

Just guessing...

Hope this helps (not to mention works :] )...

Cheery-o Gustav Paul gustav@rails.co.za

You need to set up your classes:

Car has_one :owner

Owner belongs_to :car

Then grab car and owner info:

@cars = Car.find(:all) @cars.collect { |car| car.owner }

I think this was meant to be: @cars = Car.find(:all, :include => :owner)

which will be a reduction in database overhead by avoiding separate queries for the owner of each car.

You will now have a collection of all cars with owners nested beneath each car. Use <%= debug(@cars) %> in your view to verify that this has happened. To show in the view iterate though cars and owners:

<table>   <% for car in @cars %>   <td>     <%= car.name %>   </td>   <td>     <%= link_to 'show', :controller =>'newowner', :action => 'show',                         :id => car.owner.id %>   </td> </table>

Things may get a bit funky but this should get you close enough, assuming only one owner per car. Hope this helps some!

Taylor

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

thanks for the replys, but my models are setup as

Car

has_many :car_owners

CarOwner

belongs_to :car   has_one :user

as each car could of been owned by many people, but each owner is only one user

(hope that makes sense)

with my code, looking at the log it's running a query "select * from car_owners left join users on users.id = user_id where (car_id = 9)

if I run that on my DB I get all the rows (*) so how do I access car_owners.id