Accessing a file with normal Ruby IO fails. Security issue of what?

Hi,

I'm developing a small Rails 2.2.0 app. I have a slightly modified scaffold-generated file, PayrollSys\app\controllers\cvs_items_controller.rb, as follows:

class CvsItemsController < ApplicationController   # GET /cvs_items   # GET /cvs_items.xml   require 'find' # Added

def index     logger.info "==> index in cvs_items_controller.rb"     # @cvs_items = CvsItem.find(:all)     @cvs_items = get_csv_filenames_attributes() # Replacement

[snip]

protected   def reload     logger.info "==> Reload in cvs_items_controller.rb -- RLM "   end

def get_csv_filenames_attributes # Brand new method     csv_data_dir = "../../public/data/csv"     values =     Find.find(csv_data_dir) do |item|       next unless File.file?(item)       values << item     end     values   end end

Using a logger, I have confirmed that no filenames have been returned by File.find and that the values array remains zero length.

However, the exact same method (without the "def" and its closing "end"), when added to a brother file in the same directory, correctly lists the two .csv files in the PayrollSys\public\data\csv directory (when a puts is prepended to the closing "values" symbol).

Is there some security method that precludes accessing the files? Would the tableless plugin be relevant, though I do want ActiveRecord to access the application database(s).

Thanks in Advance, Richard

RichardOnRails wrote:

Hi,

I'm developing a small Rails 2.2.0 app. I have a slightly modified scaffold-generated file, PayrollSys\app\controllers\cvs_items_controller.rb, as follows:

class CvsItemsController < ApplicationController   # GET /cvs_items   # GET /cvs_items.xml   require 'find' # Added

def index     logger.info "==> index in cvs_items_controller.rb"     # @cvs_items = CvsItem.find(:all)     @cvs_items = get_csv_filenames_attributes() # Replacement

[snip]

protected   def reload     logger.info "==> Reload in cvs_items_controller.rb -- RLM "   end

def get_csv_filenames_attributes     csv_data_dir = "../../public/data/csv"

do you mean "../../../public/data/csv"? or you have a public dir under the app dir?

yes it is strange but you need to go 1 dir more back...

values =     Find.find(csv_data_dir) do |item|       next unless File.file?(item)       values << item     end     values   end end

Using a logger, I have confirmed that no filenames have been returned by File.find and that the values array remains zero length.

probably you are looking in the wrong dir

However, the exact same method (without the "def" and its closing "end"), when added to a brother file in the same directory, correctly lists the two .csv files in the PayrollSys\public\data\csv directory (when a puts is prepended to the closing "values" symbol).

Is there some security method that precludes accessing the files? Would the tableless plugin be relevant, though I do want ActiveRecord to access the application database(s).

try this:

protected     def reload       logger.info "==> Reload in cvs_items_controller.rb -- RLM "     end

def get_csv_filenames_attributes       csv_data_dir = File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) + "../../../public/data/csv/")       logger.info "==> csv_data_dir: #{csv_data_dir}" #print the dir so you can check if it is correct       values =       Find.find(csv_data_dir) do |item|         logger.info "==> item in csv_data_dir: #{item}"         next unless File.file?(item)         values << item       end       values     end

Hope this help

Duilio Ruggiero

Duilio Ruggiero wrote:

RichardOnRails wrote:

Hi,

[snip]

def get_csv_filenames_attributes     csv_data_dir = "../../public/data/csv"

do you mean "../../../public/data/csv"? or you have a public dir under the app dir?

yes it is strange but you need to go 1 dir more back...

no, my error is relative to the dir where you start rails

if you use ruby script/server and csv_data_dir = "public/data/csv" it works

values =     Find.find(csv_data_dir) do |item|       next unless File.file?(item)       values << item     end     values   end end

probably you are looking in the wrong dir

try this:

protected     def reload       logger.info "==> Reload in cvs_items_controller.rb -- RLM "     end

def get_csv_filenames_attributes       csv_data_dir = File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) + "../../../public/data/csv/")       logger.info "==> csv_data_dir: #{csv_data_dir}" #print the dir so you can check if it is correct       values =       Find.find(csv_data_dir) do |item|         logger.info "==> item in csv_data_dir: #{item}"         next unless File.file?(item)         values << item       end       values     end

Hope this help

Duilio Ruggiero

Errata corrige

def get_csv_filenames_attributes       csv_data_dir = File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) +                                    "/../../public/data/csv/")       values =       logger.info "==> csv_data_dir: #{csv_data_dir}"       Find.find(csv_data_dir) do |item|         next unless File.file?(item)         logger.info "==> file in csv_data_dir: #{item}"         values << item       end       values     end

I hope this is correct :wink:

Duilio Ruggiero

PS: I'm sorry for my English

Richard,

What you want is:

csv_data_dir = RAILS_ROOT + "/public/data/csv"

Rick

Hi Duilio,

Thanks for your responses. I'll try them out today. I have a slight digression: in the process of removing my debugging code I managed to mess a few things up, which I'll have to fix first. I'll post back with the outcome.

PS: I'm sorry for my English

No apology necessary. It's not the form of your expression that matters, it's the content of your message (with apologies to Martin Luther King's memory.)

Best wishes, Richard

Hi Rick,

csv_data_dir = RAILS_ROOT + "/public/data/csv"

Now that looks like REAL Ruby-on-Rails programming.

Many thanks.

I'll post back on success/failure later today or tomorrow.

Best wishes, Richard

Hey Rick,

RAILS_ROOT was the key. I never would have dreamed that up by myself, despite my handsome collection of Rails books :slight_smile:

Thanks and Best Wishes, Richard