about assert_difference problem. help!!

I just want to do unit/test, test to creat person data (here are 3 cloumns) into the table "people" of model person. and in model person, there is "def Person.newly_created(args)" method. In fixtures file, there is test1:   id: 1   user_id: 1   firstname: test1   lastname: YY test2:   id: 2   user_id: 2   firstname: test2   lastname: TT test3:   id: 3   user_id: 3   firstname: test3   lastname: ZZ

I want to use assert_difference to test creat all data into database.

person_test.rb: require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../test_helper' class PersonTest < Test::Unit::TestCase fixtures :people

def test_should_create_person     assert_difference Person, :count do   assert=Person.newly_created.valid?     end   end

but there is an error:   1) Error: test_should_create_person(PersonTest): ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (0 for 1)     test/unit/person_test.rb:17:in `newly_created'     test/unit/person_test.rb:17:in `test_should_create_person'     D:/kisscafe/config/../lib/authenticated_test_helper.rb:42:in `assert_difference'     test/unit/person_test.rb:16:in `test_should_create_person'

1 tests, 0 assertions, 0 failures, 1 errors

So I don't know how to fix this problem. Please help!!

OnRails wrote:

def test_should_create_person    assert_difference Person, :count do assert=Person.newly_created.valid?

assert is a method, and you are assigning something to it..?

And, yes, assert_latest can help you, because it can do anything assert_different Model, :count can do, and more. So if you actually need that, you could use assert_latest.

I just want to do unit/test, test to creat person data (here are 3 cloumns) into the table "people" of model person. and in model person, there is "def Person.newly_created(args)" method. In fixtures file, there is test1:   id: 1   user_id: 1   firstname: test1   lastname: YY test2:   id: 2   user_id: 2   firstname: test2   lastname: TT test3:   id: 3   user_id: 3   firstname: test3   lastname: ZZ

I want to use assert_difference to test creat all data into database.

person_test.rb: require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../test_helper' class PersonTest < Test::Unit::TestCase fixtures :people

def test_should_create_person     assert_difference Person, :count do   assert.Person.newly_created.valid?     end   end

but there is an error:   1) Error: test_should_create_person(PersonTest): ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (0 for 1)     test/unit/person_test.rb:17:in `newly_created'     test/unit/person_test.rb:17:in `test_should_create_person'     D:/kisscafe/config/../lib/authenticated_test_helper.rb:42:in `assert_difference'     test/unit/person_test.rb:16:in `test_should_create_person'

1 tests, 0 assertions, 0 failures, 1 errors

So I don't know how to fix this problem. Please help!!

You've got some bugs in your syntax that you'll need to take care of before you start worrying assert_difference. Read the api for the method that's throwing the exception and do some homework. assert_difference isn't the issue here...

Also, neither assert=Person nor assert.Person do what you want to do. I'd suggest reading up on unit tests in Ruby and Rails.

Rein

[Please don't reply to private e-mail addresses from a public group...]

OnRails wrote:

def test_should_create_person     assert_difference Person, :count do     assert.Person.newly_created.valid?

What's with the dot . between assert and Person?

Tip: Write almost nothing in your test. Then run

rake test:recent

and see it pass. Then write the _minimum_ new code into your test that you possibly can. Run test:recent again. Keep repeating until you understand each failure point. Don't write a whole bunch and wait to test it all.

That technique is how experienced programmers write huge programs, too...

Thank you so much, Phlip. I am new learner for test. and you help me so much. I dealed with assert_difference depend on your suggestion. The first time I just used "assert_difference Person, :count do" all the data have inserted database that is I wanted. and second time I want to verify these data, I used "assert.Person.newly_created.valid?", but it is wrong. So could you give me some suggestion about this? Thanks again!

"assert.Person.newly_created.valid?", but it is wrong.

You wrote "assert.Person". There's a dot between the assert and Person.

Use "assert Person"!

Thank you very much, Phlip I got it. Thanks!