A few Rails 3 questions

I am about to start a new project with Ruby 3.

1) How is the speed ? 2) Is it possible to host ruby3 projects on the same server as is hosting ruby 2 projects ? (with passenger) 3) Any foreseeable problems I will run into ?

Trausti

Trausti Thor Johannsson wrote:

I am about to start a new project with Ruby 3.

From what I can tell, just do it.

1) How is the speed ?

Seems the Rails team suggests it should be faster. Lots of posts about it being much better on 1.9.2 than 1.8.7. Easy topic to google I would think.

2) Is it possible to host ruby3 projects on the same server as is hosting ruby 2 projects ? (with passenger)

Yes, have a look at RVM. http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/ Again, easy topic to google.

3) Any foreseeable problems I will run into ?

There's always problems, and they're forseeable because you know they're coming.

I converted a reasonably complex (but not large) Rails 2 app to Rails 3 just this past couple of weeks, and it actually went pretty well. I studied the blogs ahead of time for a couple of days so I had a pretty good idea what I was info. Just running your old app an trying to find answers as things break would be way too frustrating.

Even if you're starting from scratch, you'll want to write Rails 2 code, so read these to get started on knowing what the differences are:

-- gw