XMLRPC calling question

I have a mashup I need to d with a site that uses xmlrpc. I am trying to understand the the call method. I have the following items that need to be passed to the remote site.

methodName and the following structure    ID - string    area - string    views = array of strings

I know what the xml should look like <methodCall>   <methodName>lists</methodName>   <params>     <param>       <value>         <struct>           <member>                 <name>id</name>                 <value>              <string>12345</string>           </value>      </member>      <member>     <name>list</name>     <value>         <string>district</string>     </value>       </member>       <member>     <name>View</name>     <value>         <array>       <data>           <value>         <string>Ocean</string>           </value>           <value>         <string>Mountain</string>           </value>           <value>         <string>Golf Course</string>          </value>          <value>         <string>Garden View</string>          </value>       </data>         </array>     </value>         </member>      </struct>         </value>     </param>   </params> </methodCall>

I have results from various inputs from the view for the value. I am trying to figure out how to create the xml structure and how to use it in the XMLRPC call.

Any help?

Don French

erb. Set up a boilerplate file and fill in what you need. It's MUCH faster than trying to generate it with REXML.

I have a mashup I need to d with a site that uses xmlrpc. I am trying to understand the the call method. I have the following items that need to be passed to the remote site.

methodName and the following structure   ID - string   area - string   views = array of strings

I know what the xml should look like

[...lots of xml...]

OK I can do that, but how is that result string of xml passed to the server I have a variable remote_server that was created with the XMLRPC::Client.new2 call. how do I then call the method "search" on that serve?

Don French

Why not

require 'xmlrpc/client' @server = XMLRPC::Client.new((secure) ? MY_SECURE_URN : MY_URN,
MY_ENDPOINT, nil, nil, nil, nil, nil, secure) @server.call('my.method.name', {:id => 1, :area => 'someplace'}

etc.

I've had nothing but good results from xmlrpc. Any reason not to use it?

I access 3rd party software through xmlrpc calls. I built mine as a plugin... but i'll extract some of it for you in this example below:

require "xmlrpc/client"

def api_perform(class_type, method, *args)   begin     server = XMLRPC::Client.new3({'host' => @api_url, 'path' => "/api/ xmlrpc", 'port' => 443, 'use_ssl' => true})     result = server.call("#{class_type}.#{method}", @api_key, *args)   rescue XMLRPC::FaultException => e     puts "*** Error: #{e.faultCode} - #{e.faultString} ***"   end

return result end

The result that's returned is a Hash.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. I assume the args parameter is a hash of the variou values to be put into the XML. Correct? Does the call method actually generates the XML as I described, or do I have to generate it?

Don French