where to put logic

Folks   Quick question, i know db model logic goes into the model and how the views are interacted with goes into the controller code. And how the page looks goes into the view code with rails. But lets say i have a system call that shells out and runs a command that populates an array with a list of devices that i want to show in a select box in my view. Where would i put this type of system call at? Not sure if this goes into the controller or if this should be called from the view using a helper method, or should this go into the model. i know for long running external tasks i should use somthin like sidekiq but this an external call and is not expensive. so where is the best place to do things that happen from external calls and do not directly relate to the mvc? any advice would be helpfull thanks.

Folks   Quick question, i know db model logic goes into the model and how the views are interacted with goes into the controller code. And how the page looks goes into the view code with rails. But lets say i have a system call that shells out and runs a command that populates an array with a list of devices that i want to show in a select box in my view. Where would i put this type of system call at? Not sure if this goes into the controller or if this should be called from the view using a helper method, or should this go into the model. i know for long running external tasks i should use somthin like sidekiq but this an external call and is not expensive. so where is the best place to do things that happen from external calls and do not directly relate to the mvc? any advice would be helpfull thanks.

Remember you can have models that are not derived from ActiveRecord so you could have a class to handle your external calls.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1074344: