what to use to edit CSS?

hey all, my CSS file is right now a rubbish and unreadable text file. i was wondering if there was a CSS editor out there that 1 - sorts classes and ids, separately 2 - encourages separation of style (say colors, size…) from positionning (floating, position)

3 - formats a CSS file with proper indents, syntax highlting and all 4 - tells me when there is a non-compliant rule, like say i write background:none 5 - might help me with the differences between Internet Explorer, Firefox and safari (with the box problems and floating divs)

thanks

If you’re on a Mac, CSSEdit rocks.

http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/

I just wished it used the Firefox engine instead of Safari’s.

Vish

looks great, but i have a pc now as my mac laptop failed to me miserably one year ago - the motherboard died 10 days after the apple guarantee. i sweared i’d never use a mac again

Heri R> wrote:

looks great, but i have a pc now as my mac laptop failed to me miserably one year ago - the motherboard died 10 days after the apple guarantee. i sweared i'd never use a mac again

It does look good but the other thing that irritates me about the Mac (I use Linux!) is that this kind of small utility would be free on Linux and probably even on the PC, yet most Mac utilities require you to pay for them! I was tempted to get a Mac recently when I had to use one for work, but then after a while I found things were just harder to do on the Mac when you are a developer compared to Linux, textmate excepted, it is great! Wish there was an equivalent on Linux!

(Yea I expect to get flamed by the MacaHolics out there :wink:

Try Aptana - http://www.aptana.com/

Very nice, free Eclipse based IDE with lots of code-assist features for CSS, JavaScript and HTML - including telling you which browsers support what.

aptana seems like a good package and bonus points to it - can be integrated to radrails so i get 1 IDE :slight_smile: thanks

No, it's nothing, and I wouldn't mind paying at all - if I would get the source code then to truly own the program and be able to modify it to suit my needs and get a guarantee that it will not just disappear from the market one day when I really depend on it.

To me, the open source world is not at all about saving money. It is about freedom.

This is why nowadays I rather pay a larger sum to an independent developer to write customized software for me when I don't have the time or the skills to do it myself rather than buying a much cheaper off the shelf package. And why I then publish the code I paid for under the GPL - so that independent programmers can move on to the next task and create something even better
instead of reinventing or reimplementing the wheel for the umpteenth time.

Horst

i was going to say there was many open source mac programs out there but i googled ‘open source mac software’ and found out that the first 2 results were out of business or discontinued. how ironic. and that most of open source software on mac are ports from the linux /unixworld.

For windows try TopStyle Css the light version