What happened to _form.rhtml partial in rails 2.0??

Just wondering if anyone could point me to a good explanation of why the latest way of doing things does not include using something like _form.html.erb partials in RESTful rails 2.0?? Why did we move away from partials, etc??

If you gave us more information as to what your problem was, then maybe we can help. Ranting & Raving about it doesn’t help us.

Rails 2.0 is using partials the exact same way all previous versions have been.

I guess what you mean is why is the _form.html.erb not separated from the new.html.erb and edit.html.erb views any more when you generate a scaffold.

Partials are still there and very much in favour where appropriate. In the context of the scaffold, I think they have moved away from using them for 2 reasons:

1. The use of partials for the inner section of the form prevent us using the block level variable (usually f) to indicate the model association of the form_for (e.g. form_for(:post, posts_url do |f|     f.text_area(:title) end )

2. Often the edit form is different to the new form. This allows us to be ready to make these changes when they occur

Other than those reasons i can't think of any other good ones for making the change, but especially (1) seems to be the most likely reason.

Nothing to stop you doing it for your views, either pass the "f" variable through in the :locals => {} hash of the partial, or use the fields_for method within the partial.

Another option is to move the entire form into the partial using the new idiom form_for(@model).

It was customary to leave it outside to be able to write different actions by hand in the new/edit templates, but this new idiom DRYfies that.

-- fxn