Weird issue with converting floats to integer

Which still doesn't allow you to store all numbers with arbitrary precision (in fact putting my mathematical hat on, most numbers can't be stored like this). You'll have to deal with numerical error eventually

Talking slight bollocks. I meant that you can't store with infinite precision, ie you'll always be liable for some error.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #970500:

Which still doesn't allow you to store all numbers with arbitrary precision (in fact putting my mathematical hat on, most numbers can't be stored like this). You'll have to deal with numerical error eventually

Talking slight bollocks. I meant that you can't store with infinite precision, ie you'll always be liable for some error.

Of course. You know a better way? Should we just store everything as Rational?

Fred

Best,

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #970500:

>> Which still doesn't allow you to store all numbers with arbitrary >> precision (in fact putting my mathematical hat on, most numbers can't >> be stored like this). You'll have to deal with numerical error >> eventually

> Talking slight bollocks. I meant that you can't store with infinite > precision, ie you'll always be liable for some error.

Well that wouldn't solve things anyway. Just didn't wanted to make sure no one was under the illusion that there's some sort of silver bullet for this

Fred

For things that _are_ decimal numbers (such as money) use Fixed or BigDecimal and for things that are not decimal then use Float and determine the errors if it is important.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #970510:

For things that _are_ decimal numbers (such as money) use Fixed or BigDecimal and for things that are not decimal then use Float and determine the errors if it is important.

That's basically what I've been saying, except for "decimal" substitute "rational". However, there's not always an a priori way to determine if a given field will need to store irrational numbers.

Colin

Best,

I am not quite sure that is that is the same as "never, ever use Floats for arithmetic" :slight_smile:

Also as we have seen for rational numbers like 1/3 BigDecimal is no better than float, except that it is possible to specify a smaller or larger precision than that which float supplies, and it is a decimal precision rather than a binary one.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #970523:

BigDecimal and for things that are not decimal then use Float and determine the errors if it is important.

That's basically what I've been saying, except for "decimal" substitute "rational". However, there's not always an a priori way to determine if a given field will need to store irrational numbers.

I am not quite sure that is that is the same as "never, ever use Floats for arithmetic" :slight_smile:

Oh, now I see the difference. Even if I store something as a Float, I'd probably use BigDecimal for arithmetic. I simply don't believe that Float arithmetic has any place at all in a wise programmer's repertoire. Consider it the 21st-century goto, if you like. :slight_smile:

Also as we have seen for rational numbers like 1/3 BigDecimal is no better than float, except that it is possible to specify a smaller or larger precision than that which float supplies,

That makes it better than Float right there. Also, you don't accumulate any *more* error.

and it is a decimal precision rather than a binary one.

...which is not generally better or worse.

Colin

Best,

The more I think about it the more I think that the ruby implementation of BigDecimal is flawed. BigDecimal('1') / BigDecimal('3') should be stored as a rational (ie as two values, 1 and 3 to be divided). Otherwise it seems to me that it is not 'proper' BigDecimal. I have been unable to find documentation that fully defines what the result of 1/3 should be.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #970536:

The more I think about it the more I think that the ruby implementation of BigDecimal is flawed. BigDecimal('1') / BigDecimal('3') should be stored as a rational (ie as two values, 1 and 3 to be divided). Otherwise it seems to me that it is not 'proper' BigDecimal. I have been unable to find documentation that fully defines what the result of 1/3 should be.

I think differently here (but I may be mistaken ...).

BigDecimal, for me, as the name implies, guarantees an "exact" representation of all numbers that are of the form:

[+-] (d(n)*10^n + d(n-1)*10^(n-1) + ... + d(0)*10^0 + d(-1)*10^(-1) + ... d(-m)*10^(-m))

with d(n), the digit n places to the left of unity and d(-m), the digit m places to the right of the unit and the comma. The ^ (caret) represents the "to the power of" function (e.g. 10^3 == 1000).

E.g. in the decimal number "3004.5006" d(3) = 3 d(2) = 0 d(1) = 0 d(0) = 4 d(-1) = 5 d(-2) = 0 d(-3) = 0 d(-4) = 6

a = BigDecimal.new("3004.5006")

=> #<BigDecimal:b72706c0,'0.30045006E4',8(12)>

These numbers form a (mathematical) field for the operators: +, -, * , but NOT with the division operator.

The nice thing about BigDecimal is that it will automatically expand it's precision if needed to make sure the representation remains correct when using the functions: +, -, *. There is always a finite (and exact) precision that is sufficient to represent the result of

a [+-*] b

Let's try it:

a = BigDecimal.new("1000000000000000000",12)

=> #<BigDecimal:b725ae60,'0.1E19',4(24)> # (precision automatically larger than the 12 I requested)

b = BigDecimal.new("0.00000000000000003", 12)

=> #<BigDecimal:b72320b4,'0.3E-16',4(24)> # (precision automatically larger than the 12 I requested)

sum = a+b

=> #<BigDecimal:b722254c,'0.1000000000 0000000000 0000000000 000003E19',40(56)> # nice, precision is enlarged to represent the _exact_ result :slight_smile:

difference = a-b

=> #<BigDecimal:b721ee9c,'0.9999999999 9999999999 9999999999 99997E18',40(56)> # nice, precision is enlarged to represent the _exact_ result :slight_smile:

product = a*b

=> #<BigDecimal:b721c494,'0.3E2',4(16)> # nice, precision is reduced because more is not required :slight_smile:

But for the division ...

division = a/b

=> #<BigDecimal:b721aa7c,'0.3333333333 3333333333 3333333333 3333333333 3333333E35',48(56)>

division = a/b

BigDecimal gives it a shot, takes a "large" precision ... but in a "Decimal" representation (Sum of d(i).10^i), there is no way to represent this exactly. So there is no limited value of precision that will allow the exact representation. Otherwise said, the function division '/' is not part of the field, it can produce results that are outside the set of decimals (even if the 2 operands are inside).

The Decimal numbers are clearly a subset of the Rational numbers. It would be quite feasible to make a Rational class which is a field with the operators '+', '-', '*', '/'. Of course, the Rational class exists and does this neatly:

ra = Rational(1000000000000000000000000000,1)

=> Rational(1000000000000000000000000000, 1)

rb = Rational(2,1000000000000000000000000000)

=> Rational(1, 500000000000000000000000000)

ra.to_s

=> "1000000000000000000000000000"

rb.to_s

=> "1/500000000000000000000000000"

(ra+rb).to_s

=> "500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001/500000000000000000000000000"

(ra-rb).to_s

=> "499999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999/500000000000000000000000000"

(ra*rb).to_s

=> "2"

(ra/rb).to_s

=> "500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000"

(rb/ra).to_s

=> "1/500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000"

ra.inspect

=> "Rational(1000000000000000000000000000, 1)"

rb.inspect

=> "Rational(1, 500000000000000000000000000)"

But then again ... sin, sqrt, etc. are not part of the field and will bring the result outside of the BigRational set into the set of "Real" numbers.

My conclusion: * on the *, +, - operators, it is nice to see BigDecimal   expand the precision of the results to stick to an   "exact" representation and stay in the field. * if the BigDecimal class sticks to its definition of "Decimal"   (and not Rational) then behavior of BigDecimal on the   division operator can be nothing else then arbitrary.

Possible solutions I see on top of my head: A do nothing (the result of division has a "large" precision,   but is not "exact") B raise an exception if the representation becomes not exact C set an instance variable in the BigDecimal object that marks   it is "not exact" (like the "tainted" flag) D let BigDecimal return a Rational if the result can not be   exactly represented as a BigDecimal E use the Rational class if you want exact divisions ...

They all have their advantages: * A OK. Understanding the behaviour is enough. I understand     now that +.-,* work as expected and / causes the risk     to loose exact representation.

* B (could be Class or per object flag) ==> in bookkeeping applications, exactness is required,     so any calculation that destroys the exactness must     be flagged. So if you calculate the "average" profit     over your 7 divisions, you would get an exception,     unless you did something special and understand the risks

* C this is really unintrusive and allows one to check at the     end if the exactness did not get lost along the road

* E this exists, use it if you want an "exact" representation     of 1/3.

I am not in favor of D because it silently changes the class of the result and this violates the principle of least surprise. If you want Rational, use it from the start then.

HTH,

Peter

Possible solutions I see on top of my head: A do nothing (the result of division has a "large" precision, but is not "exact") B raise an exception if the representation becomes not exact C set an instance variable in the BigDecimal object that marks it is "not exact" (like the "tainted" flag) D let BigDecimal return a Rational if the result can not be exactly represented as a BigDecimal E use the Rational class if you want exact divisions ...

They all have their advantages: * A OK. Understanding the behaviour is enough. I understand now that +.-,* work as expected and / causes the risk to loose exact representation.

* B (could be Class or per object flag) ==> in bookkeeping applications, exactness is required, so any calculation that destroys the exactness must be flagged. So if you calculate the "average" profit over your 7 divisions, you would get an exception, unless you did something special and understand the risks

* C this is really unintrusive and allows one to check at the end if the exactness did not get lost along the road

* E this exists, use it if you want an "exact" representation of 1/3.

I am not in favor of D because it silently changes the class of the result and this violates the principle of least surprise. If you want Rational, use it from the start then.

For D there is no reason why the class of the result needs to change to Rational. It could stay as BigDecimal but internally store the data as a Rational. Looking at Java BigDecimal it throws an exception if the result of a division cannot be held exactly.

In summary however I think you are correct for Ruby. BigDecimal will retain full accuracy except for division, where it is up to the user to make sure he/she understands what he is doing and ensures that errors are understood.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #970616: ...

For D there is no reason why the class of the result needs to change to Rational. It could stay as BigDecimal but internally store the data as a Rational.

Ah, I see. I had not thought it that way.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #970618:

Colin Law wrote in post #970616: ...

For D there is no reason why the class of the result needs to change to Rational. It could stay as BigDecimal but internally store the data as a Rational.

In this case there would be no advantage to storing as a Rational. Sounds like you want an ExactNumber class that abstracts both.

For the record, I think BigDecimal / BigDecimal = BigDecimal is the correct design.

Ah, I see. I had not thought it that way.

Thanks,

Peter

Best,

In an earlier post I think it was suggested that an advantage of BigDecimal is that errors do not increase. With divide as it is, and choosing 16 digit accuracy, then BigDecimal is virtually identical to Float (assuming ruby Float is actually what would be known as double in C). Also errors will potentially increase every time a divide operation is performed. It seems that the default is actually 8 digit which is only single precision float accuracy.

I see that Arbitrary-precision arithmetic - Wikipedia discusses exactly this problem and the use of Rationals to get around it. It seems to suggest that some languages do that.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #970648:

to Rational. It could stay as BigDecimal but internally store the data as a Rational.

In this case there would be no advantage to storing as a Rational. Sounds like you want an ExactNumber class that abstracts both.

For the record, I think BigDecimal / BigDecimal = BigDecimal is the correct design.

In an earlier post I think it was suggested that an advantage of BigDecimal is that errors do not increase.

Basically.

With divide as it is, and choosing 16 digit accuracy, then BigDecimal is virtually identical to Float (assuming ruby Float is actually what would be known as double in C).

Not at all! You can't store 397 significant figures in a Float. You can in a BigDecimal. Apparently you are wilfully ignoring this advantage, since it has been brought up several times already.

Also errors will potentially increase every time a divide operation is performed. It seems that the default is actually 8 digit which is only single precision float accuracy.

So don't use the default! Sheesh.

I see that Arbitrary-precision arithmetic - Wikipedia discusses exactly this problem and the use of Rationals to get around it. It seems to suggest that some languages do that.

And that would be easy to do in Ruby. I'm glad we have a choice, though.

Colin

Best,

Colin Law wrote in post #970648:

to Rational. It could stay as BigDecimal but internally store the data as a Rational.

In an earlier post I think it was suggested that an advantage of BigDecimal is that errors do not increase.

Basically.

With divide as it is, and choosing 16 digit accuracy, then BigDecimal is virtually identical to Float (assuming ruby Float is actually what would be known as double in C).

Not at all! You can't store 397 significant figures in a Float. You can in a BigDecimal. Apparently you are wilfully ignoring this advantage, since it has been brought up several times already.

I am not at all saying there is no advantage to BigDecimal, merely exploring the issues. I entirely agree that for + - * there can be significant advantages. I am pointing out here that as soon as you get into more complex calculations involving division, or irrational numbers such as pi, and trig functions, square roots and so on that BigDecimal is not a panacea and will not guarantee that there are no errors in the calculations.

Also errors will potentially increase every time a divide operation is performed. It seems that the default is actually 8 digit which is only single precision float accuracy.

Right, again I was pointing out that one cannot blindly assume that BigDecimal is a panacea, it is necessary to understand ones problem and use the features appropriately. I am not suggesting you would not do that, others may not realise the issues however. It does seem strange to me that the default should be such low precision. It means that doing complex arithmetic with BigDecimal using the default precision one may get much greater errors than with Float.

You misunderstand me, I was talking about the possibility of BigDecimal automatically using Rationals internally when division is involved (if the division does not result in an exact result). So if one did BD(1) / BD(3) then the result would be exactly 1/3 and would be a BigDecimal. Internally it would be a Rational but the user would not need to know that. The Wikipedia article appeared to suggest that some languages automatically do that. Again I am not saying Ruby _should_ do that, merely exploring the issues again.

I am not trying to have an argument here, I am learning a lot myself by researching the issues and value such discussions greatly.

Did you have a chance to see whether for you the result of BD 1 / BD 3 where each was specified as 16 bit appeared to result in an 8 bit answer, and if so, why?

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #970667:

correct design.

I am not at all saying there is no advantage to BigDecimal, merely exploring the issues. I entirely agree that for + - * there can be significant advantages. I am pointing out here that as soon as you get into more complex calculations involving division, or irrational numbers such as pi, and trig functions, square roots and so on that BigDecimal is not a panacea and will not guarantee that there are no errors in the calculations.

OK, that I agree with. I thought you were going further.

Right, again I was pointing out that one cannot blindly assume that BigDecimal is a panacea, it is necessary to understand ones problem and use the features appropriately. I am not suggesting you would not do that, others may not realise the issues however. It does seem strange to me that the default should be such low precision.

And to me.

It means that doing complex arithmetic with BigDecimal using the default precision one may get much greater errors than with Float.

Right.

You misunderstand me, I was talking about the possibility of BigDecimal automatically using Rationals internally when division is involved (if the division does not result in an exact result). So if one did BD(1) / BD(3) then the result would be exactly 1/3 and would be a BigDecimal. Internally it would be a Rational but the user would not need to know that.

Is that really a good idea? This is where I think you're really arguing for a further abstraction as I already proposed.

The Wikipedia article appeared to suggest that some languages automatically do that. Again I am not saying Ruby _should_ do that, merely exploring the issues again.

I'd want a symbolic math system like Mathematica to do that. I'm not sure if a general-purpose programming language should.

I am not trying to have an argument here, I am learning a lot myself by researching the issues and value such discussions greatly.

Me too! This is fascinating.

Did you have a chance to see whether for you the result of BD 1 / BD 3 where each was specified as 16 bit appeared to result in an 8 bit answer, and if so, why?

Not yet. Even though I'm Jewish, Christmas has me really busy!

Colin

Best,

Just a footnote to all of this.

The difference between using a value for pi of 3.1415927 or 3.14159265, between 7 and 8 digits of precision, when calculating the circumference of the earth introduces a difference of less than a meter. All very reasonable, but I still found it surprising.

I was taking a differential equations class from a very knowledgeable math professor who told us about it. He was also surprised to discover that such low precision in pi can lead to such precision in the physical world.

Fred